1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
Life at Scribd starts as a document, eBook or audiobook that gets uploaded to Scribd.
Our conversion pipeline transforms these uploads into internal formats that our platform uses to feed our users' desire to read in their browser or mobile app.
This conversion pipeline orchestrates numerous tasks that gather additional data e.g. text retrieval (OCR), language classification, category classification, Spam analysis and more.
Our performant and high-available content serving layer then makes sure our vast library of 100 million documents and 1 million books gets delivered to our customers' devices.
Things we work on
- Improve observability, resilience and alerting of our services.
- Define and monitor acceptable SLI / SLO for services and individual components.
- Perform service capacity planning, demand forecasting and load testing.
- Fine-tune deployment and rollback of services.
- Improve incident handling (process) and reporting (post-mortems).
You’ll want to work with us if you like
- The idea of “you build it, you run it” and the ownership that comes with it.
- Small iterative design, implementation and delivery; “think it, build it, ship it, tweak it”.
- Testing and instrumenting your code and measuring the impact it has when it runs.
- Going beyond print statement debugging to troubleshoot code and complex systems.
- To strive for engineering excellence, adopt best practices, and to write simple, clean, easy to understand code.
- To co-own how the team delivers code and to continuously improve our software development cycle.
- To collaborate with others in a team setting, seek and reflect on feedback, and share your view freely and independently.
- The hacker mindset. You are curious how things work. You enjoy digging out the working details of systems and then talking (or blogging) about the.
We’ll want to work with you if
- You have 5+ years of professional experience operating websites and services.
- You believe that “hope is not a strategy”. You appreciate the need to apply best practices, instead of just letting software launch and trusting that everything will be fine.
- You have implemented or are interested in implementing chaos engineering.
- You relentlessly improve the way production systems operate.
- You worked on high traffic and had to implement load shedding, rate limiting.
- You understand latency on all levels of the web stack (network, services, clients).
- You insist on eliminating repetitive tasks (“toil”) through automation.
- You have experience using infrastructure-as-code (IaC) and configuration management tools.
- You enjoy creating playbooks for handling various types of incidents.
- You believe blameless post-mortems are a critical tool to improve our knowledge on how production systems should operate.
- You like monitoring the team’s Mean Time to Failure (MTTF) and Mean Time to Recovery (MTTR) and thinking about and suggesting improvements.
- You have used IaC tools (puppet, chef, ansible, terraform) with linters and tests to manage large hybrid-cloud installations.
- You have extensive experience with cloud environments (AWS and GCP) and container infrastructure (ECS, Docker, Kubernetes).
- You have used scientist to measure the performance of new code.
- You have experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale.
Why we work here
• Our downtown Amsterdam office has excellent amenities and a collaborative, easy-going atmosphere. Only 7 minutes walking from the nearest metro or tram or come by bike and park it in our secured bike storage.
• Our HQ is in San Francisco, but we have engineering teams distributed in Toronto, Amsterdam and remote throughout the US.
• 24 days paid leave and we close from Christmas through New Years Day.
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events.
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station.
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Scribd company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.