The Red Hat OpenJDK team is seeking to hire a Senior Software Engineer to join us on supporting our customers with Red Hat's builds of OpenJDK and Temurin and working on the upstream OpenJDK codebase.
In this role, you will be working directly with the upstream communities of OpenJDK and Eclipse Adoptium on bug fixes, tracing and analyzing issues and perform backports from later versions of OpenJDK and generally help maintain the upstream versions of OpenJDK. You will also work on and maintain client libraries as well as JVM technologies such as JVM and the Garbage Collectors, and help debug and diagnose issues in OpenJDK on our supported platforms.
Successful applicants must reside in a country where Red Hat is registered to do business, preferably in the EU.
What you will do
- Contribute to the general upstream OpenJDK development, including bug fixes, new feature as well as helping others in the community with reviews and approvals
- Work on customer cases, including with issues on Temurin builds of OpenJDK
- Write blogs and articles, and generally present at conferences
- Help with backports and with OpenJDK releases both upstream and with the Red Hat builds of OpenJDK
- Maintain or co-Maintain upstream release of OpenJDK
What you will bring
- Experience tracking complex issues and debugging Java applications, including native code and JVM compiled code
- Excellent understanding of the Java core class library and the implications of new JVM language features such as Project Loom and Valhalla
- Proven track record of writing software in Java and C++
- Ability to work with and communicate effectively with peers distributed over various geolocations and in a fast moving environment
- Professional level of written and spoken English
The following are considered a plus:
- Experience with porting the JVM runtime to different platforms
- Experience in maintaining complex codebase
- Good understanding of the internals of the JVM and of the Hotspot JVM codebase
- Experience with AArch64 and/or RISC-V architectures
- Experience with runtime monitoring and observability
- The ideal candidate is already a contributor to the OpenJDK project with Committer role or above to at least one the OpenJDK updates repositories
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of enterprise open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to deliver high-performing Linux, cloud, container, and Kubernetes technologies. Spread across 40+ countries, our associates have the flexibility to choose the work environment that suits their needs from in-office to fully remote to office-flex. Red Hatters are encouraged to bring their best ideas, no matter their title or tenure. We're a leader in open source because of our open and inclusive environment. We hire creative, passionate people ready to contribute their ideas, help solve complex problems, and make an impact. Opportunities are open. Join us.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Red Hat
Red Hat’s culture is built on the open source principles of transparency, collaboration, and inclusion, where the best ideas can come from anywhere and anyone. When this is realized, it empowers people from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to come together to share ideas, challenge the status quo, and drive innovation. Our aspiration is that everyone experiences this culture with equal opportunity and access, and that all voices are not only heard but also celebrated. We hope you will join our celebration, and we welcome and encourage applicants from all the beautiful dimensions of diversity that compose our global village.
Equal Opportunity Policy (EEO)
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.