carwow is looking for Senior Software Engineers to join our engineering team in Spain. We’ve introduced a new remote-first flexible working policy which means you have the option to work on a fully remote basis. If you have a preference to work from our Madrid office, either full time or a few days per week, then you are more than welcome to.
Let's face it, car buying isn't easy. That's why at carwow, we're leading the mission to make it better, with our vision of helping our customers to be the most informed and empowered car buyers in the world. Since carwow’s inception, we’ve already improved the car buying experience for hundreds of thousands of people, selling cars through our site with a total value of £10.3Bn.
We’re a highly driven (excuse the pun) scale-up with a team of circa 250 based in London, Munich and Madrid and are backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs & car manufacturer Daimler (Mercedes-Benz).
However, our ambitions don’t stop there. This year, we are quickly scaling across many areas of our business with huge plans for the future. So, if you always aim to WOW through everything you do (check out more info about our values here), we’d love you to join us on our journey.
About the role
Senior engineers at carwow work on cross-functional product teams of product managers, engineers, designers and data analysts. You will work closely with Product Managers and Tech Leads on deciding what features to build for customers, break down and build features with the team, review code, mentor engineers, ensure operational excellence, and share knowledge broadly across the engineering organisation.
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how customer needs can be met, while making pragmatic technical trade-offs.
- Write maintainable and performant code, with tests and documentation
- Collaborate with your team on getting things done. Share your progress, review each other’s code and help each other out with constructive feedback.
- Monitor and support your software in production by joining the on-call rotation and working to improve our site reliability
- Contribute to building roadmaps of experiments and initiatives to grow the paying customer base of carwow
- Contribute your expert opinion on the scope and feasibility of the initiatives your team considers.
- Help shape the technical strategy for our approach to experimentation in the product.
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and business impact.
- Develop and test product improvements that build customer growth
- Review code to ensure that the team is following conventions and standards that are defined at carwow.
- Collaborate with other engineers inside and outside of the team, helping them to do their best work and deliver projects according to our values and brand.
You may be just the right person if others have described you as…
- Technically experienced
Your previous experience
We are looking for people with over 7 years of experience working in software engineering roles because it typically takes that long to gain the experience necessary to succeed at the role as we've defined it. However, we are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kind of impact you’ve had over years' experience.
- Have worked as a software engineer, ideally with Ruby on Rails.
- Have worked in a metrics-driven team, having a direct impact on the growth
- Are self-driven and take responsibility for product outcomes, doing whatever’s necessary to make things happen,
- Have designed backend systems and APIs to a high standard of security, reliability and operability OR have experience building end-end websites including working on the front end.
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product managers, designers, user researchers and other developers,
- Write code to be maintained – with good documentation, tests, and structure.
- Are keen to learn continuously, share knowledge, communicate effectively and build a product in close collaboration with others.
How we will measure your success
We'll know you're doing a great job when we see:
- You’re delivering work that has measurable business impact and value to customers – early and often,
- You’re a self-sufficient member of our team, actively scoping work and driving projects forward,
- You’re fully engaged in the product development life cycle, helping to shape your team’s roadmap,
- You're mentoring engineers on your team, providing regular feedback through code reviews and conversations,
- You’re raising the bar for technical quality and sharing your expertise.
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve
- Financial: Private pension scheme
- Flexible working: For those that want to, you'll be able to work from home on a fully remote basis. You’ll be eligible for a ‘home office allowance’ of up to €550 to help get set up with everything you need to succeed at home. We also have a new ‘work from anywhere for a month each year' policy in place should you wish to use it.
- Health: Private medical health insurance + dental cleaning, gym discounts
- Social: Company wide virtual collaboration such as bi-weekly product demos, coffee with the exec sessions, culture club, social events
- Discounts: In transport, menu and kindergarten
With people from over 25 different nationalities already part of our team, at carwow we strongly believe a diverse and inclusive workforce creates a more innovative company with a broader perspective. We are committed to creating a team where anybody can thrive regardless of their background. Wherever you’re from, whatever you believe, all we ask is that you have drive and share our company values (you can view them here).