At Returnly we help brands that care about shopper loyalty offer better product returns. We are a financial technology services company that builds award-winning products that drive repurchase behaviour and customer loyalty. We’re backed by smart money VCs in Fintech including some prominent members of the Paypal Mafia. Our headquarters are in San Francisco Financial District and we have offices in Chicago and Madrid. We are on a mission to de-risk online commerce and are building a team of amazingly talented people to help us do it.
About the role:
At Returnly, we value you as a whole person. We care about the skillset you bring to the table, but more importantly, we care about the kind of person you are, and the culture and attitude you bring to the table. As a Senior Software Engineer (Machine Learning), you will help build solutions that will be used by thousands of customers. You will find success in this role if you are a seasoned software engineer who appreciates real, technical challenges and being enthusiastic about machine learning. You will be an integral part of the data science team, turning our machine learning models from idea to production.
Here’s what we look for in the attitude department:
- You are a seasoned and versatile engineer, who is passionate about your work
- You have a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- You are proactive and adaptable
- You like to solve problems and to fill in the gaps where there are unknowns
- You are a craftsman in your trade but you understand when “good enough” is enough
- You are analytical and have keen attention to details
- You have your own opinions and you are not shy about them, but you also value consensus and strive to achieve it
- You lead your teammates by example, you’re the “go to” individual
- You’re not afraid to change your mind given new facts, nor are you afraid to admit your mistakes
- You thrive in a semi-structured start-up environment with ample opportunity and also plenty of ambiguity
- You can wear multiple hats
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to explain your ideas clearly and concisely and enjoy sharing them
- You are very serious about the quality of your work and you ask no less from your colleagues
- You understand and are interested in both big picture and nitty-gritty details
What you'll be doing
- Solve new and challenging problems around eCommerce payments, credit issuance and settlement, fraud detection, SaaS integration, model serving
- Own technology solutions, including architecture, design and development of back-end microservices and REST APIs for our machine learning applications using Python
- Promote and evangelize architectural and design best practices to team members
- Evaluate and create new tools and techniques to facilitate effective development practices
- Work cross-functionally with some of the best people in different disciplines like data science, analytics, finance, product management, marketing & sales, design
- Build and enhance systems with automated build, deploy, instrumentation and monitoring
- Drive quality by writing unit, integration, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment
- Troubleshoot cross-system issues using log data, metrics, and various analysis tools
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Live and breathe resiliency and uptime
- Anticipate and act upon issues that arise, providing alternative approaches and solutions
- Set the standard for highest quality of work
What we're looking for
- 6+ years industry experience and expert knowledge using Python
- Deep understanding and experience of various technologies, frameworks and libraries in the Python ecosystem
- Thorough, expert level knowledge of Python, design patterns
- Strong familiarity with *nix environment including bash and command-line tools
- Experience with Git version-control system
- Deep understanding of database methodology and database systems and strong experience with relational and non relational databases
- Familiarity with RDBMS design for both OLTP and Data Warehousing is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of web service technologies and REST best-practices
- Understanding of scalability challenges and performance of server-side code
- Ability to design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems
- Deep understanding of distributed systems in a cloud environment, and event-driven architecture
- Solid grounding in common machine learning model families, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical issues, such as overfitting or model degradation
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken is a must for communicating with a global team
- Proven track record of shipping software in a delivery-focused environment
- Experience contributing to open-source projects or similar is a big plus
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services
- Prior startup experience a big plus
Diversity - We are diverse, independent thinkers and still one team with one mission.
Openness and empathy - We learn and grow by listening to our customers and each other.
Integrity - We always do what’s right for our customers, Returnly and ourselves - in that order.
Team - EQ is as important as IQ. We make time to help each other out.
Commitment - We are curious and fearless. We own risk, outcomes and everything in between.
We'd really love to hear from you, but before applying please check the following...
Read the values section above carefully and ask yourself if this is a good match for you personally. We want you to be an ambassador of these values!
Do you have all the skills required for this role? Can you demonstrate them? Be realistic - we will only consider applications that demonstrate relevant skills and match these role requirements.
Please make sure you have included a cover letter as part of your application. We want to learn from you and your achievements before we meet you in person!
Returnly company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.