MyTutor is on a mission to make life-changing one-to-one learning easy for everyone, and we need help.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer with both web front end and back end software development experience to join and grow an agile development team that excels in both effectiveness and innovation.
What we’re looking for
Our current tech stack is based on a monolithic Java/MySQL backend hosted in AWS and a JavaServerFaces based frontend. You’ll be moving our frontend to a modern microsite architecture, to start with based on React.js, but with the option to use other frameworks as we grow. We also want to have more of our backend architecture microservice based, with Node.js being an option. Being curious about and comfortable with this kind of transition is essential to this role.
As a senior software engineer, you’ll be experienced in working collaboratively who with other developers, QA and product people. You’ll want to work in a safe working environment where ideas can be aired, differing opinions experimented with and pragmatic solutions are chosen. You’ll be aware of the friction between short-term business gains versus long-term best practice and put in place plans to achieve both.
Skills you may already have
* Experience working as a software engineer in a high-paced, high-change environment
* Comfortable working in an environment aiming to be agile Scrum
* Experience working with inherited codebases and creating entirely new greenfield projects
* Implement new backend microservices
* Work with Product Owners to refine stories and explore technology challenges with them early
* Research new technologies, methodologies and ideas that can improve the organisation
* Work with cross-functional teams to ensure quality throughout the software development lifecycle
* Build good relationships with key stakeholders, who embrace challenges to their requirements and develop an understanding of the technology these relate to
* Contribute constructively in improving agile practices
* Work in an always learning organisation
* Ability to influence the technology stack and engineering practices in the direction you want
* Participate in Hack Days at the end of each two-week sprint
* Helping to improve the educational outcomes of thousands of young people
* Opportunity to work autonomously and make use of your creative flair
* Tuesday Breakfasts, Team lunches, Friday drinks and regular team events & outings
* 24 days holiday (plus public holidays)
What We’re Building
We have handpicked the best tutors from across the UK and built the world’s most advanced online learning space to empower schools, universities and parents to give every student access to the one-to-one support they deserve. We harness our tutor’s recent experience, subject passion, and up-to-date academic knowledge to inspire secondary school pupils and help them achieve better results.
Our use of data, including a matching algorithm driven by machine learning, helps us to optimise matches based on personality, aspirations and areas of expertise. Our fast-growing relationships with secondary schools across the UK are enabling us to build a trusted brand that parents can depend on.
More On MyTutor
MyTutor is the UK’s leading online platform for one-to-one learning to empower every pupil with the expertise they need to reach their potential. Through our highly-engaged tutor community and smart, interactive Online Lesson Space, we envision a future where every student can access high-quality one-to-one support.
With the growing demand for personalised education, tutoring is a £2bn market in the UK alone. MyTutor is one of the fastest-growing and best-funded EdTech businesses in Europe. To date, we’ve worked with over 260+ state schools - and run 40000+ sessions with disadvantaged pupils who get their tuition-free via school, and 250,000 lessons with families across the UK and the world. We’re an exciting, fast-growing startup business with a friendly team of over 30 based in the City.
Contact Sasha for further details: firstname.lastname@example.org