Alpha is an innovation startup based in Barcelona, established by Telefonica in early 2016. Alpha’s mission is to create Moonshots: audacious projects that use radical ideas and breakthrough technology to address some of the biggest challenges in society. Moonshots are designed to affect 100 Million people or more, be a force for good on the planet, and grow into impactful businesses.
We are building a team to work on ground-breaking and life-changing projects in the health and learning sectors. More Moonshots are to come in a range of exciting domains.
Alpha Learning Moonshot
Alpha Learning is the factory’s third Moonshot. We want to create a high quality, optimal learning system to enable humans to reach their full potential in an increasingly uncertain future.
The world has changed dramatically in the last 100 years, but the education system has not kept up. Children starting school now will likely be doing jobs that don’t exist today. Yet they aren’t being equipped with the skills they need. Meanwhile, rapid population growth coupled with a worldwide shortage of teachers, has created issues for the education system on a global scale.
At Alpha, we believe that advances in artificial intelligence coupled with better scientific insights into the way humans learn will allow us to create engaging, optimal learning experiences. To bring these experiences to scale, we are partnering with the best academics, technologists, companies, and professionals around the world.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to lead the design and implementation of early-stage product development. Someone that can define software requirements and take the lead on operational and technical projects, in an environment where speed of iteration needs to be balanced with delivery of quality work.
● Develop high-quality software design and architecture, incorporating cutting-edge web, sensing, and machine learning technologies
● Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
● Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code
● Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
● Review and debug code
● Perform validation and verification testing
● Collaborate with internal teams and vendors to fix and improve products
● Lead and mentor a small team of developers
● Document development phases and monitor systems
● Ensure software is up-to-date with the latest technologies
We are looking for someone with 8+ years' experience in software development, scripting and project management. The ideal candidate has excellent software engineering skills and experience in managing the development process from project definition through to delivery of high quality product. You will be expected to lead and mentor a small team of developers through the process of delivering early-stage products aimed at validating initial assumptions about a long-term Learning Moonshot project.
Technical skills and experience
● Proven experience as a Senior Software Engineer or similar
● Academic credentials in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience
● Experience in professional web development
● Knowledge of a variety of programming languages
● Familiarity with various operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows)
● Experience building cloud-based data engineering solutions (including AWS)
● Experience operating complex microservice environments
● In-depth knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases
● Experience using system monitoring tools and automated testing frameworks
● Experience working in Agile/Scrum methodologies and frameworks
● Experience or demonstrated interest in Data Science/Engineering
● Experience with developing networked gaming systems
Other skills and experience
● Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
● Can adapt quickly to changes and new feature requirements
● Eagerness and willingness to learn new technologies
● Team player with strong motivational skills
● Excellent communication skills, fluency in English
We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Benefits package (health, pension, life)
- Casual dress code and open culture
- Flexible work schedule
- High social impact with world-wide reach
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly ‘Lunch and Learn’ sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work and learn with some of the very best minds in innovation and ideation
- A friendly and open environment
- A democratic team culture that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!
Alpha company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.