Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, Decathlon, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
With hundreds of thousands of users as of today, we are pioneering a new community of Spatial Data Scientists. Check out our yearly Spatial Data Science Conference.
What are we looking for
We are looking for a Geospatial Software Engineering expert to join our Data Engineering team and work on pioneer projects for data management, visualization, and analytics. An engineer who is passionate about working on geospatial databases and computing algorithms and who is also willing to impact hundreds of thousands of analysts and data scientists around the world.
There has been a lot of work done on adding spatial capabilities to relational databases. However, we are starting to see the trend moving towards next-generation data warehouses like Google BigQuery, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, or open-source like Spark, Apache Drill, etc. These new distributed computing systems provide a unique opportunity to tackle really big spatial problems.
At CARTO, we are building the next-generation geospatial warehouse on top of the best data warehouses to take full advantage of performance and scalability capabilities and process huge datasets without moving data in and out of the platform.
One of the projects we are building is the Analytics Toolbox, which is a set of SQL functions and procedures to provide spatial analytics to data warehouses such as Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, and more. The toolbox contains several modules and capabilities like map tiler, data enrichment with our Data Observatory, routing, geocoding, spatial indexes, geospatial fundamentals, high-level analytics, etc. We are working closely with engineers from Google, Amazon, and Snowflake to achieve the best integration and performance and provide the best capabilities to our customers.
Now we are looking for a Geospatial expert to join our talented team of engineers to develop new features, make them available in other data warehouses, and integrate them with our platform to be consumed by data scientists and data engineers.
If you love to be in contact with top engineers in geospatial data, this is your place!
- Be part of the Data Engineering team working at the database engineering group
- Build the next-generation geo-analytics platform for developers and data scientists
- Learn about modern data tools and platforms, mapping, and geospatial development. Also, if you already have experience in those fields, we’ll be happy to learn from you
- Work in both research and stable products used by top clients around the world
- Create new proofs of concept and develop ideas from scratch
- Communicate periodically with your work team, via Slack and daily meetings
- Help to define, plan and organize work tasks in 2-week iterations with Shortcut
- Apply good development practices: clean code, testing, documentation, code reviews
- Contribute to open-source projects in GitHub (part of our work is open-sourced!)
- Be ready to work and collaborate with engineers from open-source communities like PostgreSQL, Vis.gl, PyData, and from companies like Uber, Microsoft, or Google
- Initiative, a can-do attitude, and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy, and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together)
- Good knowledge of the GIS industry, 2+ years working in geospatial as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git, documentation, testing,...).
- Need to be super fluent with SQL and Spatial SQL.
- A solid 5+ years experience as a software developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/GitHub, documentation, testing, profiling...)
- Affinity for math problems and algorithms
Nice to have
- Knowledge of high-performance databases and distributed computing
- Understand indexes and the challenges of parallelization of certain algorithms
- Be familiar with Big Data formats and technologies such as Avro, Parquet, or ORC
- Knowledge of Jupyter Notebooks, SciPy, or GeoPandas
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, or Snowflake
- Contributions to open-source projects
- Competitive, results-based compensation, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Private Medical Insurance
- Every Friday afternoon is Leapfrog time when you will be working on whatever you like related to CARTO: contribute to related open-source projects, create proofs of concept, develop new ideas, etc.
Provide us with your resume and a letter explaining your interest. Be sure to let us know why you’re a great match for this role and for CARTO!
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.