Senior Software Engineer, Growth in Barcelona or Remote
Want to make an impact? Join our pack and come work (and play!) with us.
We believe everyone deserves the unconditional love of a pet—and at Rover, our mission is to make it easier to experience that love. Founded in 2011, the Rover app and website connect dog and cat parents with loving pet sitters and dog walkers in neighborhoods across the US, Canada, and Europe. We empower our community of trusted pet sitters and dog walkers to run their own pet care businesses on Rover with the tools and security of a global company to back them.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, we work closely with our teams in Barcelona, London, San Antonio, Spokane and remote locations. We’ve got a reputation for being a great place to work, having been named among the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Seattle Business Magazine and Washington’s Best Workplaces in the Puget Sound Business Journal. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies.
At Rover, our furry coworkers are just as important as our human ones—and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Along with making the joys of pet parenthood more accessible, we’re committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community of pet people—and that starts with our employees.
***This position is approved for remote work only in the following states: WA, ID, TX, GA, NC & FL***
Meet the Team
We are the Growth team, focused on increasing the number of first-time bookings on the Rover platform. We accomplish this by focusing on two key areas:
1. Discoverability. Google searches, referrals, word of mouth, and app store presence are important ways people find Rover. We own the Rover.com homepage, referral flows, and thousands of city and neighborhood specific pages around the world. We’re looking to make it as easy as possible for pet owners to find great care for their pets.
2. Improving users' first impressions of Rover. After a user finds Rover, we’re responsible for the first impression they have of us. We build engineering solutions that improve site usability and remove friction. The speed of our website is a key to both new user experiences and our SEO rankings. We accomplish these goals with projects such as Server-Side Rendered React and Edge Caching using CloudFlare, focusing on Google Core Web Vitals which reflects the user’s real-world experience.
How this team works
Growth is an uncertain part of the business. We’re trying new things not done before at Rover, and looking for what sticks best with customers. As such, we usually look to quickly launch a small MVP version of a feature to prove customer impact before building the full version. Most of our MVP launches are experiments behind an A/B or geo-split test.
As an engineer on the team, you’ll have the opportunity to develop many projects across much of Rover’s tech stack. You will make technical decisions and weigh tradeoffs for what’s important to help us move faster and test more features. When successful, your impact will be clearly measurable.
Rover is primarily a React and Django shop, with CloudFlare serving our users at the edge. This team works across all these technologies to deliver against our goals. We build across desktop and mobile web, with React Native counterparts for native mobile. On this team you’ll have the opportunity to jump into:
React. Building and maintaining frontend pages, increasing page speed by uplifting pages to Server Side Rendered React, and handling the complexities that arise from managing a variety of first-impression pages. We’re also ramping up on React Native to make improvements to our apps.
Django. Often our work will require building new API endpoints or modifying existing ones. We build performant API endpoints that interact with our databases, sweating about performance and time to first byte.
Cloudflare. We build and maintain Rover’s edge caching and pioneered the use of Cloudflare Workers at Rover. Top level domain routing decisions are under this team, requiring us to solve complex routing problems across Rover and the thousands of pages we maintain for 300M+ requests a week.
What you’ll bring
We’re looking for our second senior level software engineer. You’ll work closely with our tech lead to help make technical decisions, weigh tradeoffs, and guide and mentor the team. You’ll lead projects, communicating with your manager and product manager. You’ll help guide the overall success of the sprint.
Once ramped, as a senior you’re expected to be able to handle our trickiest cases, and dive deep into technical problems to provide well rounded solutions.
Our team works on a mix of frontend and backend projects, involving both user-facing and infrastructure work. Ideal candidates may have an area of expertise, but will eventually ramp up across our entire tech stack.
We don’t view anything here as a rigid requirement. Instead here are some ideas of the backgrounds we’re interested in. You might be a good fit if you have:
- 5+ years as a professional software developer (Senior)
- Domain experience in growth. Core Web Vitals, marketing tech, a/b testing, etc.
- Expertise in multiple parts of our tech stack (see above).
- Experience improving site speed and performance.
- Experience in React Native development.
- Experience coaching more junior developers
- Experience with product experiments, and knowing how to build “MVP” versions of features to prove impact.
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering standard methodologies.
- A focus on observability, a propensity to ship code with effective monitoring and logging.
- Effective communication on design/engineering trade-offs to product managers/designers.
- Intuition for when to call it "good enough", and when to put in the extra time to polish.
- You’re aligned with Rover Core Values.
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, supportable solutions.
- We are curious and passionate about learning, providing the right environment and resources for professional growth
- We are committed to building, fostering and maintaining a culture of inclusivity and diversity on both our teams and in our products
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline, automated testing and deployment.
- We are serious about the quality of our production operation, and have thorough system, application and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We are passionate about data driven decision-making.
- Our teams are integrated teams with developers, product managers, designers and data scientists working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Match
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Pet benefits, including $1,000 toward adopting your first dog or cat
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs) and free catered lunches semi-monthly (currently on hold due to COVID-19)
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- In the greater Seattle area the first year salary range is $132,680 - $182,302. Additionally Rover offers equity (RSU’s) and benefits to all employees.
- The cash compensation offered for this role will be dependent on the candidate's experience, qualifications, skills and abilities as demonstrated in the interview and hiring process.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We are committed to work with you to look for reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Seattle, WA, USA