FilledThis offer is not available anymore
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
Life at Scribd starts as a document, eBook or audiobook that gets uploaded to Scribd.
Our conversion pipeline transforms these uploads into internal formats that our platform uses to feed our users' desire to read in their browser or mobile app.
This conversion pipeline orchestrates numerous tasks that gather additional data e.g. text retrieval (OCR), language classification, category classification, Spam analysis and more.
Our performant and high-available content serving layer then makes sure our vast library of 100 million documents and 1 million books gets delivered to our customers' devices.
Things we work on
- Building out a document upload and conversions pipeline.
- Improving observability and resilience of conversions task execution system.
- Improving top of the funnel (TOFU) conversion - and turning more visitors into paying subscribers - by improving the user experience and performance of our document serving layer.
You’ll want to work with us if you like
- The idea of “you build it, you run it” and the ownership that comes with it.
- Small iterative design, implementation and delivery; “think it, build it, ship it, tweak it”.
- Testing and instrumenting your code and measuring the impact it has when it runs.
- Going beyond print statement debugging to troubleshoot code and complex systems.
- To strive for engineering excellence, adopt best practices, and to write simple, clean, easy to understand code.
- To co-own how the team delivers code and to continuously improve our software development cycle.
- To collaborate with others in a team setting, seek and reflect on feedback, and share your view freely and independently.
- The hacker mindset. You are curious how things work. You enjoy digging out the working details of systems and then talking (or blogging) about them.
We’ll want to work with you if
- You have 5+ years of professional experience developing web applications.
- You are experienced with functional / imperative languages such as Ruby, Python, or Go.
- You have a working understanding of relational (MySQL) and non-relational (ElasticSearch, Redis) database storage solutions and have built non-trivial applications with them.
- You recognize the challenges of service oriented architectures and know how to code for availability, eventual consistency, fault tolerance and scalability.
- You have mentored, paired and encouraged professional growth and technical growth of yourself and those around you.
- You’re able to explain and discuss solutions to complex technical topics in a language appropriate for a diverse audience (designers, support, other engineers).
- You connect dots and look at the larger picture.
- You have designed or worked with service oriented architectures (REST, gRPC, …) and have built a level 2 RESTful HTTP API.
- You have experience with document formats like PDF, ePub, docx etc.
- You have experience with Docker, AWS ECS and/or Kubernetes.
- You have experience with building predictable, fault-tolerant distributed systems.
Why we work here
• Our downtown Amsterdam office has excellent amenities and a collaborative, easy-going atmosphere. Only 7 minutes walking from the nearest metro or tram or come by bike and park it in our secured bike storage.
• Our HQ is in San Francisco, but we have engineering teams distributed in Toronto, Amsterdam and remote throughout the US.
• 24 days paid leave and we close from Christmas through New Years Day.
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events.
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station.
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Scribd company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.