By building a vibrant business, making technology useful, and investing in communities, we make it possible for people to reach their full potential to serve others. This is Liferay.
We are a diverse, multicultural and open source software company with employees all over the world. Our flagship product is Liferay Digital Experience Platform, which companies like HP, Barclays, and Coach use to build great web experiences for their customers and employees
To fulfill our mission, our core values guide us in our greater-than-profit vision beyond building great web experiences for our enterprise customers:
- Lead by Serving
- Value People
- Stay Nerdy
- Grow and Get Better
- Produce Excellence
As an example, we give employees 5 paid days off to volunteer at charities they’re excited about and we donate a portion of our profits to various charities around the world each year.
About the role
Backend Software Engineer, with strong Java knowledge and experience. You will work both on maintaining existing components and creating new ones. You’ll also participate not only in the implementation, but also in the definition of the work itself, and we expect you to give your opinion openly, both from the perspective of a user and as an engineer. You may also need to mentor less experienced developers, and lead the development of some of the team stories and tasks.
You’ll work with in-house technologies, widespread frameworks and tools (OSGi, Gradle, JAX-RS, GraphQL, a wide variety of Java standards...), and also with external APIs (Google Drive/Translate, Liferay Analytics Cloud...). We don’t expect you to know everything, but you need strong learning abilities to equip yourself with the necessary knowledge.
After the first month…
- You'll get to know Liferay DXP and what it means to develop an open source product.
- You'll participate in your first trainings to get your knowledge and skills up to speed.
- You'll meet your teammates and your backend colleagues at the Backend Guild weekly meeting.
- You'll send your first Pull Request to fix a challenging bug or implement a story and you will get familiar with the Liferay workflows.
After three months…
- You'll get deep on how the Liferay DXP toolchain works, its modular architecture and your team’s specific components.
- You’ll implement new features. Thanks to code reviews you’ll learn a lot about the way we work and you’ll feel much more confident.
- You'll feel at home. You will have built a strong relationship with your manager and your teammates.
After six months…
- You will be confident enough to design and implement new features from scratch that will add value to the product. You’ll mentorize some of your teammates and review their code to help them grow too.
- You will talk with other colleagues and community members around the world to help them solve doubts about your team’s specific components. You will also have the chance to participate in one of the main Liferay events.
- You will have found people within the company to share conversations and hobbies with. You’ll feel part of the Liferay family.
- You’re an experienced Java developer. You’re used to working with big codebases, as well as developing components from scratch.
- You have experience with software engineering best practices: simplicity, testing, coherence, reviews, estimation.
- You possess a broad understanding of common Computer Science concepts (algorithms, data structures, performance…).
- Liferay’s servant leadership mentality resonates with you as you enjoy sharing ideas and tools, and helping mentor other people.
- You’re willing to actively participate in the team dynamics, and provide feedback -- both from the technical and end user perspective -- when defining new features.
- You have the ability to lead development of features, oversee progress, and are able to delegate effectively.
- You have strong learning skills; if you don’t know something, you’re willing (and capable) of learning it.
- Good communication skills. You can clearly explain complex technical subjects to other people.
About the team
The Engineering team in Spain maintains and develops key areas of our product (Liferay DXP), most of them related to content management and distribution. Some of the most exciting features we work on are the headless infrastructure (APIs) or the main content management engines (Documents And Media, Web Content and Pages). On top of this we also develop the Segmentation and Personalization capabilities of the product and we are building the brand new platform to deliver Liferay as a service (Liferay Online).
Our Engineering team is divided into several multidisciplinary teams. Each of these teams is composed of Backend, Frontend and QA Engineers, UX Designers, a Product Manager and a Project Manager. Different teams own different parts of the product but constantly collaborate with each other to help deliver each new release.
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- 5 additional perks (Health Care Plan, Transport Card/Office Parking Space, Food Card, Gym Allowance…)
- English lessons (2 hours/week)
- Remote-friendly environment
- Continuous learning and training: internal and external courses, a technical library, participation in national and international conferences, etc.
- International, multicultural and diverse environment focused on our people
- Working at a leading open source company with an amazing community
- Employee Volunteer Program, including 5 days/year of voluntary service + 500€/year to collaborate to the charity of your choice
Equal Opportunities Employer - Statement
Liferay is committed to the equal treatment of all candidates, customers and employees and to fostering a culture of dignity at work. Our operating procedure provides for equal opportunities in recruitment and employment with the aim to eliminate discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or beliefs, marital or civil partnerships status, family or dependency status, disability, pregnancy and maternity or membership of a traveling community.