The role of the Senior Technical Manager in Skyscanner is
multifaceted and demands seasoned software engineering veterans who can
drive forward our teams, our product and our company vision in a
competitive and complex internet economy.
We have unique opportunities available for accomplished engineering managers, web development enthusiasts and product passionate leaders to join our Travel Engine Tribe – the technical heartbeat of Skyscanner.
If you enjoy a hybrid role of remaining technically involved, making speedy impact while motivating and developing people, we want to hear from you.
Travel is one of the great joys in life, yet online travel is broken. At Skyscanner we’re a tech company that operates in travel so building and shipping products is our core business. We’re dedicated to solving the travel needs of our friends, family, and the world. With more than 60M monthly users across more than 30 countries, our products have a truly global impact.
Our Technical Managers are truly empowered; we hire the best and trust them to do the right thing. They’re the people who use technology to take you to new and undiscovered places. The people who challenge convention and use imagination, technology and tenacity to find better and more efficient solutions for our users.
You’ll be responsible for the success of a squad, delivering accurate routes, timetables, prices, and core services to all our products, with mission-critical performance and availability. Our engine uses global-scale services, big data and machine learning to capture, normalize and makes sense of real-time information from our thousands of partners.
Scope of responsibility:
- Technical leadership and technology expert for your squad and related domain to drive technical decision making and architectural design.
- Work with the squad and the Product Owner to clarify, elaborate, and iterate on the squad’s goals.
- Engage with the squad to help them move faster, more efficiently, and at high quality in a continuous delivery manner.
- Proactively identify issues and opportunities and collaborate with other squads and functions to achieve positive outcomes in processes and code quality.
- Personal development, mentoring and growth of your squad members to encourage, support and enable them to achieve their full potential.
- Delegate responsibility where applicable and engage in participative decision-making to empower the squad.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science.
- A product-oriented, customer-focused emphasis on rapid delivery of value to production.
- A proven track record:
- as a technical manager/development lead in a fast-moving (ideally internet) company.
- of leading teams in complex technical scenarios to successful completion, resulting in significant business impact.
- of using agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement.
- leading multiple mid to large sized teams.
Ideally you'll offer Skyscanner:
- Previous experience with large scale, large volume technical solutions deployed to AWS.
- Previous experience with one or more of the following technologies: Java, Python, .Net, Couchbase, RabbitMQ, SQL, SQL Server, Elastic Search (Java is the language of choice for our new services being deployed at scale).
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.