Smarkets has built, and continues to expand, one of the world's largest betting exchanges. We believe that effective, low-margin exchanges are integral for proper price discovery in prediction markets. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're building a reliable, highly concurrent system capable of handling thousands of executions per second. We’re looking for people to help us integrate security into everything we do.
This is a software engineering role where you’ll need to be comfortable reviewing code for subtle traps as well as designing service architecture or hardening the engineering pipeline.
More specifically, your day to day work will include:
- Defining your own role within the context of self-management (we'll help you get settled)
- Understanding the Smarkets’ security landscape - you will be our first dedicated security engineer and so you’ll be comfortable reviewing current practices and evangalising changes where needed
- Keeping our infrastructure and customers secure and fortifying the systems against future threats
- Collaborating with engineers to review and enhance security measures
- Instilling the security mindset across the company
- Reviewing threats and investigating anomalies
- Developing tooling to improve visibility of potential security issues
- You’ll be comfortable coding in Python (or a similar language)
- You have an in-depth understanding of network, systems and application security
- You’re deeply interested in defensive security
- You have proven experience in instilling “best in class” security practices
- Knowledge of how to scale security
- Professional paranoia!
- Distributed systems experience
The salary range for this role is between £75,000-£100,000 with some stock options and other benefits. Your salary will be determined by peer review and we’ll have open discussions with you about this. We are committed to pay parity and as such we are transparent about salary information internally.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.