Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
Since its inception, CARTO has been based on PostgreSQL. This worked well and many of our customers are still using this version of the platform. Looking to the future, we see some limitations with this architecture, because:
- PostgreSQL is not easy to scale, as data volumes and complexity grow.
- Customers don’t want to move their data outside of their data warehouses.
- Our core business is geospatial. We are not focused on improving the performance of large data warehouses. Nor are we looking to compete against the leading cloud data platforms such as Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, or Databricks. Rather than compete, we collaborate and build together, complimenting their spatial offering.
Our mission is to evolve the CARTO product, adapting it to current market needs. In October 2021, we launched a new version of our platform that provides a fully cloud-native experience, extending the spatial capabilities of the leading data warehouses platforms: BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift.
Our frontend technology is 100% React, free of legacy code as it has been built from scratch in the last two years.
We strongly believe that Reactive programming is the best solution to develop mapping applications, since it is very really suited for mapping use cases in which we have a single page with lots of functionality around the map.
The frontend team at CARTO is composed of 8 engineers, all of them working remotely from different parts of Europe (Spain, France, Poland, Czech Republic). The position is fully remote and you can work from anywhere in the world.
The frontend team maintains several products at CARTO:
- Workspace: the dashboard that controls our product. It uses React + Sagas + Redux.
- Builder: webGL empowered, a high-performance web application for geospatial analytic visualizations. Based on the well known Open Source project kepler.gl. React + Redux.
- CARTO for React: library/framework based on Create React App to develop applications using CARTO and React.
- deck.gl is one of the most popular Open Source mapping libraries, it’s a WebGL-powered reactive framework for visual exploratory data analysis of large datasets. Our CTO belongs to the technical steering committee and our team members are maintainers of this repo. Our major contributions there are the MVTLayer, the integration with Google Maps and the CARTO module.
What we look for
- We need someone with really strong experience with React, 3+ years. You need to be a big evangelist and fan of React, we’re looking for someone who knows the deep internals of this technology, someone who is involved and active in the React community.
- A solid 5+ years experience as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/github, documentation, testing, profiling...).
- Fluid communication skills.
- A good English level.
- Autonomy, curiosity, & good energy.
- A true will to teach & learn from your coworkers (pair programming, code reviews…)
- Competitive, results-based compensation, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives.
- We have a pretty phenomenal opportunity ahead. We are the best positioned company to push a revolution on the GIS market together with next generation Cloud data warehouses.
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Private Medical Insurance
- A great, high-qualified and motivated team to work with.
- Flexible hours.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.