Unmade is the leading customisation platform for the fashion industry, directly connecting consumer choices to automated manufacturing.
The speed with which we are growing means we are looking for a senior python engineer to work with the development team to build upon existing systems, help shape the architecture of the platform to ensure it’s robust and doesn’t fall over! You will actively contribute to a positive working environment and care about sharing knowledge and are keen to help out fellow team members.
The Unmade technology stack covers everything from 3D modelling engines to order processing and systems integrations to custom language compilers for industrial knitting machines. We’re using innovative approaches to transform an industry suffering with a chronic lack of vertical integration and automation. In addition to our technology aspirations, we’re all creative at heart. As a team, we’ve won 3 D&AD pencils across Digital Design, Branding and Art Direction as well as a host of other awards recognising our achievements over the past 3 years.
We are looking for Python Engineers to join our innovative technology team. There is room to learn about current best practices and contribute to evolving them within the team.
In the next 12 months you will:
- Make an impact and become a core contributor to various components within our Python technology stack consisting of Django and REST APIs in a Docker environment.
- Care about and help improve the micro services architecture to increase robustness as we scale, without getting puritanical about it.
- Enjoy collaborating closely with your teammates to help problem solve/define, deliver and code review features.
- Contribute to our internal roadmaps to help identify technical + product debt as well as upcoming bottlenecks that prevent us from scaling our products and services.
- Provide and receive constructive feedback to help improve/maintain code standards, team collaboration and personal growth
- Collaborate with our DevOps engineer and care about how your code behaves in a production environment, there are no walls to throw over responsibility. Our infrastructure is CircleCI, Docker and AWS & ECS. With plenty of room to learn!
- You like working collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team. You must be comfortable communicating with backend/frontend/designers/product people on both new features and improving existing services.
- As an engineer you will contribute significantly to every part of development, from pro-actively improving documentation to the design and build of APIs.
- You must like deleting code as much as you like writing it.
- Understanding that done is better than perfect. Being able to iteratively improve the codebase and ensure our quality of software and end user experience is of high quality.
- Experience in writing Django or Flask Python applications. Caring that the code is readable by everyone, well tested and robust in production
- An understanding of API design and how different components within a distributed architecture fit together. Being able to communicate clearly and share ideas with everyone on the team.
- Experience of working in agile development environments, specifically a kanban and agile with a little a, lean/light touch process.
- Understand that coding is only one part of an engineer's job, you will pro-actively contribute to coaching, communicating, code reviews and development best practices.
- Demonstrable experience of coaching engineers
- Contribute to an inclusive and positive working environment for everyone.
- Being part of a creative, collaborative, multidisciplinary team, in a fast growing business.
- Contributing significantly to the success of the team and company
- Competitive salary and employee share options (this means you own a piece of the business and get rewarded as the company grows).
- Being in a culture that values learning, sharing and growing together
- Working at Somerset House, one of London’s main cultural centres with great cafes, lunch spots, exhibitions, a summer cinema and series of concerts.
- Friday team lunches and quarterly team trips
Unmade cares deeply about helping the tech industry become a more inclusive and diverse place and we work hard to lead by example. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity through attracting and retaining a complementary team of employees and building an inclusive environment for all. Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK and be able to perform the work specified (any recruiters will blacklisted).Salary: £60k - £70k base + equity;