You will be working as a Senior Product Data Scientist in The Lab department, at the pulsing heart of innovation at King.
The Lab is a multidisciplinary organization of gaming professionals (e.g. designers, developers, UX researchers, data scientists, artists, producers, business managers, etc) who work together to push the boundaries of innovation for King and for the videogame industry.
You’ll have a proven ability to apply your skills, be it technical, behavioural or economic, to drive the understanding and success of a product.
Your role within the Kingdom
As a Senior Product Data Scientist, you will have primary responsibility for experimentation- driven development of one or more areas of your games. You will be working with varied stakeholders in a fun, dynamic and fast- paced environment. You’ll help us to further understand, model, predict, segment and retain our players and be part of a community of 100+ data science & analytics experts.
- Translate complex business needs to technical requirements and AB- test designs, and work with development teams to ensure correct implementation, taking care to correctly track the right information to allow easy, precise analysis of the impact
- Provide insights on user behavior and long- term trends to influence the roadmaps of the product teams
- Work closely with other Data Scientists across the business to leverage insights from one game across multiple games
- Help evolve the methodology and tools available to King’s data science community
- Carefully check, debug, and problem solve issues to ensure you deliver accurate and clear analysis, reports and tools, even when confronted by subtle data complications
Skills to create thrills
Our ideal candidate will have solid experience leading experimentation- driven development of a commercial product. There is plenty of scope at King for you to learn from your colleagues in the areas where you have less experience, and to share your own skills where you are stronger.
Specific factors that are helpful to excel in this role include:
- Product Knowledge: The ability to understand the problems and opportunities surrounding our games, and then defining the right data, analysis or interpretation to lead to the right recommendations and decisions.
- Stakeholder Management: The ability to recognise dependencies, build relationships and influence others.
- Communication: Designing good ways of communicating, visualising or reporting your results/analysis so they are clear and unambiguous
- SQL: The ability to write complex SQL queries to analyse our databases with 300+ million players and work with relational database systems.
- Analytical coding: Using tools such as R, Python or Excel for analytical purposes.
- Stats: Understanding the basics of appropriate statistical or machine learning techniques.
- Leadership: The ability to mentor, guide and inspire your colleagues and drive best practices across the company
Other experience that might be helpful, but is not required, includes:
- Work in the games industry or similarly customer- facing digital businesses
- Familiarity with massive data sets and tools to deal with them (BigQuery/AWS/Hadoop etc)
- Experience in behavioural psychology/economics and experimental design
- Experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas
- Software engineering skills in Java and other languages (beyond R and Python which we use most frequently)
- Skills with standard reporting tools such as Looker/QlikView/Tableau/etc.
King is a leading interactive entertainment company for the mobile world, with people all around the world playing one or more of our games, including franchises such as Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue and Bubble Witch.
We have 249 million monthly active users as of fourth quarter 2019 across web, social and mobile platforms. King was acquired by Activision Blizzard Inc. (Nasdaq ATVI) in February 2016 and operates as an independent unit of the
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players – and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
London, United Kingdom
We have developed more than 200 fun titles, and offer games in over 200 countries and regions. Our franchises include Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue and Bubble Witch. We have 340 million average monthly unique users, as of second quarter 2015, across web, social and mobile platforms.
At King, we design games with a broad appeal, which allow people to play for a moment, then move on with their day and pick up their game later. Our games are also synchronized across platforms, allowing players to switch seamlessly between devices and platforms and continue their game wherever they left off, so they can play anywhere, any time and on any device. For us, this is encapsulated in the idea of bitesized entertainment.
King has game studios in Stockholm, Bucharest, Malmö, London, Barcelona, Berlin, Singapore, and Seattle, along with offices in San Francisco, Malta, Seoul, Tokyo and Shanghai.