Senior PHP Engineer in Barcelona
Zinio is looking for a Senior PHP Engineer in their Barcelona office.
Zinio brings innovation and inspiration to the world of magazine publishers and consumers by delivering the ultimate digital reading experience on any device. As a pioneer in this sector, Zinio works with every major magazine publisher in the world. We operate online newsstands and award-winning mobile-optimised iOS and Android apps in more than 30 languages, providing access to digital magazines which can be read online and offline on any platform. Zinio also develops Newsstands, Readers, Libraries, API-services and PDF-to-XML conversion for partners with major white label clients across the world making use of our products.
The company has delivered 750M digital magazine editions across more than 8,500 titles from 1,300publishers in 200 countries to over 10M customers. Headquartered in NYC, the company has offices in San Francisco, Barcelona, London and Ho Chi Minh City.
What you will be doing:
As a seasoned php engineer, you know how to solve problems. You enjoy taking on difficult challenges where the limitations are not always necessary technical. You know when to stop and do things the right way and when getting things done.
At the same time, you know how to surf around different teams and priorities but also focus on the task at hand, and enjoy the fact of being part of a quick operations group, working in startup style but in a mature international company. You love changing the rules and driving the game because hey, that's the only way to succeed.
You code in several languages although you have one or two in your main expertise area (ideally PHP and other languages); however, you can travel around different sets of stacks, and if you don't know it, you can quickly learn about it.
The point is that you know several technologies and know which one to use for the right thing. You know how to scale up applications and how to deliver a quality product to clients. But most importantly, you do it because you love it. You enjoy building software that works and solves problems and even better if you do it with a great team working together to learn from them and teach them alike.
With more than six years coding and battling in high availability websites and big complex projects, and more than three years managing or coordinating small teams as Technical Lead or similar, you feel confident leading teams to success by teaching with example and mentoring best practices, all with a reduced ego and learning attitude.
- Passion about programming and technology and curiosity about what is new and which tools can solve problems better.
- Do-it attitude. Never blinded by the process or the language, understanding that what matters is to solve the problem.
- Very strong POO and frameworks.
- PHP + Symfony or NodeJS knowledge.
- MySQL + expertise with several NoSQL solutions (i.e. you know which toolset is the right one for the problem at hand) such as Redis.
- Experience with Elasticsearch.
- Experience with Microservices. You understand both the good and bad points of working with Microservices, and how to work properly with them.
- Good testing culture. No matter if you make the tests before the code or vice versa, your tests are ALWAYS part of the final PR.
- Docker is your friend. You have experience working with Docker and Docker Compose.
- Experience with CI services like Travis or CircleCI is a plus
- Git workflow. Good deployment practices (CI is a plus).
- Agile development skills.
- Attention to good coding practices and clean code.
- Good communicator in English.
Nice to have
- Experience in Ecommerce and transactional platforms.
- Experience in CQRS.
- Experience working with process / messaging based apps (Resque, sidekiq, rabbitMQ, etc).
- Experience designing scalable architectures and systems.
Why You’ll Love Working with us:
- Highly skilled team: Knowledge sharing and learning from your colleagues is strongly encouraged and lived.
- You will be part of a multicultural team. We have a fun and friendly international work environment.
We Offer Great Benefits Including:
- Open space office in Barcelona with awesome views.
- Team Building activities.
- Free fruit and beverages.
We offer a competitive salary package and a flexible salary plan including:
- Health Insurance Program.
- Meal, Public Transportation Card & Nursery.