We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Bumble is seeking an expert PHP Developer to help in the ongoing development of our large-scale mobile and web applications backend. This role will be focused on backend coding and database design. Millions of our users will see the results of your work every day, so we pay special attention to the performance and reliability of our system.
- Participate in a creation of a very large scale backend API (PHP/MySQL/NoSQL, millions of active users, thousands of servers, over 50k requests per seconds for PHP backend) and see the results of your efforts in a matter of days
- Write backend code and design databases (no client-side coding required)
- Actively participate in the whole process of development, from initial design to deployment and support
- Proactively communicate with colleagues to refine application design
- Suggest and implement high-tech, innovative solutions
- Optimise backend code, look for bottlenecks and, as and when necessary, implement visualisation and monitoring systems
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Proven backend development experience
- Excellent knowledge of PHP, weak and strong points of this language
- Experience in relational databases and SQL, preferably MySQL
- Understanding how to optimise and fine-tune backend application that uses MySQL or other external data sources
- Knowledge of *nix console environment
- Strong will to learn new stuff
- Words like caching, sharding, replication, reliability are familiar to you or you should be able to learn them quickly
- Experience in JVM languages is a bonus, especially building Service-oriented architecture
- Computer Science/Tech related degree is highly desirable.
- Employee Incentive Plan (EIP)
- £2,000 annual personal learning & development budget
- Private Medical Insurance (PMI)
- Private Dental Insurance
- Mental health support
- 24 working days of holidays
- Relevant conference & events tickets
- Latest equipment
- English language classes
With over 600 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
* Flexible working hours
* Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
* ‘Random Coffee’ - connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
* ‘First Fridays’ - meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
* Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
* Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
* You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!
About Bumble: Bumble is the parent company that operates Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s largest dating and connection apps with millions of users globally. The Bumble app was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. Bumble is majority-owned by Blackstone and has over 600 employees in offices in Austin, London, and Moscow.