Castor is looking for a PHP architecture expert to bring our backend to the next level
Who are we?
We are the team behind Castor EDC (Electronic Data Capture), a web application that allows medical researchers collect data for their clinical studies. We are one of the fastest growing HealthTech companies, having tripled our customer base in the last year. We are proud of the fact that our customers are our biggest growth engine. Once they use our product, they fall in love and tell their fellow researchers.
What is our goal?
To improve health care worldwide by enabling medical research through technology. We want to accelerate medical research by unlocking the potential of every researcher. We believe that standardizing and reusing datasets is key to meeting tomorrow’s health care challenges. Starting with an easy to use and affordable EDC, we help users in their entire research process. Our recently awarded €1.1M EU Horizon 2020 grant helps us to speed this along!
Who are we looking for?
We believe that the Castor products can become the global standard for medical data capture and management. To reach that goal, we are looking for an experienced PHP engineer who wants to work in a challenging, fast-paced and quickly scaling environment whilst contributing to make the world a better place.
What will you be doing?
PHP has always been an integral part of the Castor tech stack. To keep our products at the frontier of innovation, your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and writing code for web applications that impact the daily life of thousands of medical researchers.
- Taking apart large user requirement specifications and modeling the optimal, scalable solutions for them.
- Collaborate with and mentor engineers in the team, help them grow their personal and technical skills.
- Analyse performance of our applications, optimize bottlenecks and ensure that we can keep up with our growth.
- Identify opportunities for process and tool improvements and implement them.
- Work on automated toolchains to build and integrate our applications.
Our stack and tools
Our stack consists of PHP7 using (parts of) Zend Framework 2 and Doctrine 2, backed by a multi-tenant MySQL or MariaDB setup. For the frontend we use Sencha’s ExtJS 3.4 and 6.5.
Our toolset includes Slack, JIRA, Bitbucket, Confluence and Google for Business. We use Jenkins as a continuous integration server and provision our development VMs using Ansible. We work in an Agile SCRUM fashion with a very open-minded, enthusiastic and smart team.
- A job offer within a week (if we like you)
- The chance to carve out your technical role in a fast-moving start-up
- A way to help the world by improving medical research
- The option to work from home 2 days a week
- 30 vacation days per year
- The opportunity to attend relevant tech conferences and meet-ups
- Work with and contribute to open source software
- A team of young, smart and driven colleagues
- A spacious office with all amenities located in the south-east part of Amsterdam, next to Holendrecht Station.
- Free lunch, snacks and Friday afternoon drinks!
- A great salary, bonuses based on company results and a pension plan.
- 5+ years experience in software engineering using PHP
- Ability to mentor, motivate and inspire a team of experienced software engineers.
- Well-versed in design patterns and OOP, not only in theory, but also in practice.
- Skilled in automated tests, knows the difference between TDD and BDD and can explain the testing pyramid.
- Experienced in working with and scaling up cloud-based applications.
- Strong architectural mindset: able to build large, globally scaling new features for our platform.
- Ability to work with legacy code bases, knows how to break them apart and improve its quality, stability and testability.
- Security oriented
- Stays up to date about (web) technology by:
- Contributing to open source
- Going to conferences / meetups
- Reading books and blogs
- Open mindset: always ready to broaden knowledge, able to think
outside of the box and use the best tools rather than the standard tools
for a task.