Quality engineers at Red Hat are intrigued by how things work and constantly look for ways to break things and rebuild them to make them better. They are not just testers; they are also developers who design, automate, and find creative ways to identify potential problems.
The Red Hat Quarkus Quality Engineering (QE) team is looking for a Senior Java Automation Engineer in test to join us. In this role, you will oversee all aspects of quality for the Quarkus offering: the next-generation Kubernetes-native Java framework, tailored for GraalVM and HotSpot, crafted from the best Java libraries and standards. The goal of Quarkus is to make Java a leading platform in Kubernetes and serverless environments while offering developers a unified reactive and imperative programming model to optimally address a wider range of distributed application architectures. As a Senior Java Software engineer in test, you’ll have a great opportunity to make a difference in building the next generation of open source cloud-native Java middleware by working on products used by people all over the world. The connection with the global community of users is a powerful experience unparalleled by any closed-source project development you might have experienced in the past.
You will be a part of Red Hat’s culture that makes us unique in the Industry, enriched with Open Decision Framework, Open Management Practices, and diversity and inclusion, to name a few. Your continuous growth will be ensured by extensive learning opportunities, including Red Hat Learning modules and certifications as well as Red Hat University (RHU) courses. Successful applicants must reside in a country where Red Hat is registered to do business.
What you will do
- Implement test scenarios and develop enterprise applications used for testing
- Design and develop testing frameworks in Java for various environments, like cloud, multiple operating systems, large clusters, and containers
- Provide root cause analysis for complex bugs reported by our customers and communicate the impact of these bugs to customers, developers, and support specialists
- Participate in defining testing strategies
- Analyze and prioritize the quality risks posed by Red Hat’s offerings and determine the tests required to mitigate these risks
- Serve as an internal advocate for our customers to ensure that the product goes to customers without usability or user experience issues; properly document relevant information
- Document new bugs and work with project managers and developers on prioritization and a fix
- Mentor junior team members
- Constantly learn new things and maintain an overview of current technologies like Java, MicroProfile, and Reactive programming
What you will bring
- Practical experience with Java EE, MicroProfile, or Spring development
- Experience with testing in Junit or TestNG beyond unit tests
- Experience with Maven, Git, Jenkins, continuous integration, and pipelines
- Debugging and performance tuning skills
- Ability to install and maintain Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or UNIX-like operating systems; basic administration skills of Jenkins nodes
- Resiliency, flexibility, and ability to think out of the box
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
The following are considered a plus:
- Experience with leading or mentoring junior team members
- High availability, load balancing ability
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or OpenShift
- Experience with Gradle or Groovy
About Red Hat
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of enterprise open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to deliver reliable and high-performing Linux, hybrid cloud, container, and Kubernetes technologies. Red Hat helps customers integrate new and existing IT applications, develop cloud-native applications, standardize on our industry-leading operating system, and automate, secure, and manage complex environments. Award-winning support, training, and consulting services make Red Hat a trusted adviser to the Fortune 500. As a strategic partner to cloud providers, system integrators, application vendors, customers, and open source communities, Red Hat can help organizations prepare for the digital future.
Share on your newsfeed
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Red Hat
Red Hat’s culture is built on the open source principles of transparency, collaboration, and inclusion, where the best ideas can come from anywhere and anyone. When this is realized, it empowers people from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to come together to share ideas, challenge the status quo, and drive innovation. Our aspiration is that everyone experiences this culture with equal opportunity and access, and that all voices are not only heard but also celebrated. We hope you will join our celebration, and we welcome and encourage applicants from all the beautiful dimensions of diversity that compose our global village.
Read our complete Statement of Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
COVID-19 Community Standards
Being a Red Hatter means caring for one another and taking steps to protect our colleagues, customers, partners, and communities, even as personal risk tolerances and country regulations vary.
Red Hat continues to support vaccination against COVID-19 as one of the best steps we can take to contribute toward ending the pandemic and to keeping one another, our customers and partners, and our communities safe. Globally, our approach is to comply with vaccination or testing requirements in countries with them.
Read Our COVID-19 Community Standards
Equal Opportunity Policy (EEO)
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.