Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
At Affirm/Returnly, we value you as a whole person. We care about the skillset you bring to the table, but more importantly, we care about the kind of person you are, and the culture and attitude you bring to the table. As a Senior Full Stack Data Scientist, you will build data products that will affect thousands of customers with the objective to improve user experience, drive revenue and optimize processes. You will find success in this role if you are a seasoned data scientist who enjoys to design, build and implement statistical models, covering the whole process end-to-end from idea to production.
What you'll do
- Solve new and challenging problems around eCommerce payments, credit issuance and settlement, fraud detection, SaaS integration, model serving
- Work cross-functionally with some of the best people in different disciplines like data science, analytics, finance, product management, marketing & sales, design
- Break down business problems into statistical and machine learning problem formulations
- Explore, identify, query and correlate data from several different state-of-the-art data sources (Snowflake, Databricks Delta, Redis, etc.)
- Use advanced statistical methods to identify meaningful patterns, producing insights from data
- Develop robust classification, function approximation and anomaly detection models based on relational, text, image and time series data
- Use feature engineering to extract the best signals for a problem and apply suitable regularization techniques
- Develop and write production grade code in Python for our back-end microservices and REST APIs that serve our machine learning applications
- Drive quality by writing unit, integration, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment
What we look for
- 6+ years industry experience
- Very good understanding of applied statistics, such as distributions, hypothesis testing, regression, classification, etc.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-means, k-NN, naive Bayes, SVM, tree-based models, HMM, neural nets, deep learning etc.
- Thorough, expert level knowledge of data structures, algorithms, object oriented programming and design patterns in Python
- Deep understanding and experience of various technologies, frameworks and libraries in the Python ecosystem
- Strong familiarity with *nix environment including bash and command-line tools
- Experience with Git version-control system
- Strong experience with relational and non relational databases, including SQL
- Familiarity of web service technologies and REST best-practices
- Basic understanding of distributed systems in a cloud environment, and event-driven architecture
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken is a must for communicating with a global team
- Proven track record of shipping models in a delivery-focused environment
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services
- Prior startup experience a big plus
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
San Francisco, CA, USA
We are the only return solution that lets customers get the right item before returning the wrong one — with zero risk to the merchant. The result is a world-class shopping experience with an average consumer satisfaction score of 91.
We have also built a turn-key solution around our financial technology that includes returns management tools as well as hosted and fully brandable customer touchpoints like package tracking, online returns and exchanges and returnless refunds