Innovation focused and passionate about data are a must!
You have experience on:
• Statistical modelling and machine learning: you know the difference of a random forest and k-means, and know how to implement them in different programming languages (ideally R, Python or Spark). We´ll double-check this with you!
• Dealing with large datasets, and implementing scalable solutions. You know what data cleaning means and how to interact with a data engineer.
• How to solve problems using data: analyze the problem and decompose it into different analytical components, and recycle all the components you can from other projects.
• Software development: you know what git means, and how to develop your own code, test it and use it to produce actionable results. Open-source lovers get a plus if you show us your github!
• Data Visualization, and tools like ggplot, matplotlib, tableau, or similar. Bonus points for plotly or carto, and standing ovation for D3.
• Ideally, geo-spatial analytics, graph-theory, natural-language processing.
Moreover, we need that:
• You can give and take criticism well. You don’t get defensive when your ideas are challenged, and you have to be polite enough to challenge others´ ideas.
• You are confident but not arrogant. You ask for help when you need it. When they don’t know something they just say so. You value and celebrate the contributions of others.
• You get things done. You collaboratively create thoughtful plans, communicate them to others, hustle to get resources, and then execute. You are organized. You strongly favor simple and elegant solutions over complex ones.
• You don’t freak out when things go wrong. Who wants to work for someone who is constantly in a panic?
• You can think at different altitudes. That is, you are equally comfortable dealing with both the big picture and the fine details.
• You are superb communicator. You explain your ideas clearly and succinctly. You ask others for input. You listen carefully. You build on the ideas of others. Your presentations are not death by powerpoint.