Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 800 staff across ten offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It’s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 60m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free, and our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer.
We are seeking a Data Scientist to join us in our Barcelona office and be part of our highly distributed global team. Your experience as a data scientist will allow Skyscanner to reach new travellers and drive product innovations to improve the travel experience of millions.
Data is the life-blood of Skyscanner. Data Scientists are our resident experts in applying scientific thinking, engineering, applied statistics & mathematics and experimental design. They lead and actively support our ability to execute an efficient Lean Startup cycle – Learn; Build; Measure. Our team is focused on applying the scientific method across two broad categories of problems within Skyscanner:
- Leveraging our vast wealth of data to build more contextual, relevant products for travelers and travel suppliers (our partners).
- Ensuring we have the right data; insights and information to make the most impactful, scientific decisions in every aspect of our operations.
Are you an inspirational Data Scientist – translating business problems into quantitative solutions? Do you go beyond understanding the “what” happened to identify “why”.
Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have created an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. As well as our data science team, you will work closely with all areas of the business, helping define the roadmap and deliver new features to the market. On top of all of that, you’ll have a hands on role in the planning, execution and successful delivery of state of the art solutions.
What you can expect as a data scientist
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- Ownership of identifying where data science can have a wider impact on our team
- You will apply multiple techniques and data modelling to solve highly complex problems
- An opportunity to influence the people around you
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a data scientist ideally within an internet economy business or fast paced tech environment featuring high volumes of complex and occasionally imperfect data
- Experience developing, deploying, testing and continually improving data science solutions included tools, services and automated solutions
- Proven expertise in statistics - quantitative data analysis including statistical tests, predictive analysis, distributions
- Clearly communicating insights and complex information to technical and non-technical decision makers in a readily understood form
- User first - you are motivated by delivering continual improvements to travelers, partners and internal customers
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks you would expect from barista machines to massage chairs, to free food, holiday buying scheme as well as frequent townhalls with our CEO. What we really aim for is a place where people can thrive, be trusted to make impact and ultimately help us put our users first.
What you will get in Barcelona -
Situated in the Placa Catalunya in Barcelona’s bustling centre, known for its many fountains and statues and nearby some of Barcelona’s most popular attractions. Our acquisition of hotel search company Fogg saw the birth of Skyscanner hotels product and is a hub of product engineering activity. With space to hire many more staff we are excited to welcome our new recruits.
Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 60 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
Join us now.
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.