Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, Decathlon, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
Since its inception, CARTO has been based on PostgreSQL. This worked well and many of our customers are still using this version of the platform. Looking to the future, we see some limitations with this architecture, because:
- PostgreSQL is not easy to scale, as data volumes and complexity grow.
- Customers don’t want to move their data outside of their data warehouses.
- Our core business is geospatial. We are not focused on improving the performance of large data warehouses. Nor are we looking to compete against the leading cloud data platforms such as Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, or Databricks. Rather than compete, we collaborate and build together, complimenting their spatial offering.
Our mission is to evolve the CARTO product, adapting it to current market needs. In October 2021, we launched a new version of our platform that provides a fully cloud-native experience, extending the spatial capabilities of the leading data warehouses platforms: BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift.
We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer who could work with us on our geospatial integration with Databricks, we want to bring the best support for geo on Databricks and we have an exciting roadmap ahead of us.
What we look for
- BSc (or higher) in Computer Science, or a related field
- 5+ years of production level experience in one of Java or Scala.
- Experience working on a SaaS platform or with Service-Oriented Architectures.
- Experience with the “Apache Big Data” ecosystem: Spark, Hive, Parquet, Avro.
- Good knowledge of SQL.
- 2+ years of experience working with geospatial technology.
- Not a strong requirement, but it would be a great plus to have practical experience with the Databricks Lakehouse platform.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
- Every Friday afternoon is Leapfrog time when you will be working on whatever you like related to CARTO: contribute to related open-source projects, create proofs of concept, develop new ideas, etc.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.