XING provides advice and support to its more than 19 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
(Senior) Data Engineer (m/f/d)
Our Data Science team is responsible for turning data into services and products for New Work SE. Around 20 data scientists and engineers work together to create highly scalable solutions which serve millions of users. We bring state-of-the-art algorithms into production by making use of technologies such as Scala, Kubernetes, Hadoop (e.g. Hive, Spark), Akka, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, etc. We are an international team with people working from multiple locations in Spain, Hamburg (Germany) and remote. Learn more about our team at: https://bit.ly/data-science-team
At the moment, we are working intensively on projects related to building up our machine learning platform that supports efficient development of machine learning models for recommender systems, search services and other data services. We are now seeking an experienced Software/Data Engineer who loves software development and has experience in enabling Data Scientists & Co. throughout the ML life cycle. If you want to get things done rather than sit in meetings, and if you like helping others and learning from them, you will have fun in our team! By the way: Flexible remote work is possible.
A challenging task
- Help us building up our machine learning platform, e.g. tackling the following key questions:
- Scale: How can we better scale the development of machine learning at NEW WORK?
- Development Efficiency: How can we make Data Scientists & Co. more efficient when developing new ML models or revising existing models?
- Quality: How can we raise the quality / standards when it comes to the development of ML models?
- Design and implement frameworks, libraries, etc. and establish systems that allow for efficient development of robust machine learning solutions
- Implement highly scalable services and batch or real-time data processing workflows/components to bring machine learning models to production and apply big data technology as well as technologies related to distributed systems.
- Build, deploy, monitor and operate services within our infrastructure, while automating processes (e.g. automating re-training of ML models).
- Work in a team with Data Engineers and Data Scientists to support the (technical) design, implementation and evaluation of new algorithms, machine learning models and other data-driven features and services.
- Use and work with technologies like Scala, Python, Kafka, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and Hadoop technologies such as Hive, Spark.
A convincing background
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent Software Engineering experience
- Either good programming skills in a JVM based language (like Scala, Java, Closure or Kotlin) or excellent programming skills in Python
- Knowledge and experience in implementing scalable software and services which incorporate machine learning models
- Previous experience in working on aspects related to the Machine Learning lifecycle (e.g. with technologies like Kubeflow, MLflow, DVC, etc.)
- Some experience with Big Data technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, etc.), data storage (e.g. relational databases, key-value stores) and data processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Akka, etc.)
- Proficient English language skills (German is not required)
Nice to have
- Previous experience with recommender systems and/or search technologies (e.g., Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.)
- Good knowledge in SQL
- At senior level, proven track-record of building rock-solid data-driven solutions (i.e. fault-tolerant, highly reliable features, solutions which scale regarding volume of data, robustness regarding changing data characteristics, re-usable and easily extendable etc.).
- Previous experience in working in a distributed setup
An inspiring environment
Check our Twitter account! https://twitter.com/NewWork_es
- Training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow.
- Innovation weeks (Hackweeks)
- Flexible working hours and remote flexibility
- Restaurant tickets, coffee and snacks.
- Spanish / English/ German lessons.
- A mobile device of your choice as well for private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- A great, multicultural and diverse environment.
- A sunny office located in the centre of Barcelona, with a large terrace.
- Flexible Compensation Plan: Health insurance/ Transport/ Nursery Tickets
- Extended holidays
- Competitive salary and a Permanent contract
- Bicycle park and package reception
- Relocation pack if needed.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!