XING provides advice and support to its more than 19 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
(Senior) Data Engineer (m/f/d)
Our Data Science team is responsible for turning data into services and products for New Work SE. Around 20 data scientists and engineers work together to create highly scalable solutions which serve millions of users. We bring state-of-the-art algorithms into production by making use of technologies such as Scala, Kubernetes, Hadoop (e.g. Hive, Spark), Akka, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, etc. We are an international team with people working from multiple locations in Spain, Hamburg (Germany) and remote. Learn more about our team at: https://bit.ly/data-science-team
At the moment, we are working intensively on projects related to reusable recommender systems components and building pipelines for automated machine learning. We are now seeking an experienced Data Engineer who loves software development, helps with the design and development of scalable components and contributes to search services and recommender systems. We strive for building testable, predictable and simple code. If you want to get things done rather than sit in meetings, and if you like helping others and learning from them, you will have fun in our team!
A challenging task
- Design and implement highly scalable services, batch or real-time data processing workflows/components and products which make smart use of data to provide data-driven functionality (in particular: search and recommender services)
- Develop code for processing and analyzing large amounts of data (e.g. tracking data, semi-structured data sets, graph data, etc.), bring machine learning models to production and apply big data technology as well as technologies related to distributed systems.
- Build, deploy, monitor and operate services within our infrastructure, while automating processes.
- Work in a team with Data Engineers and Data Scientists to support the (technical) design, implementation and evaluation of new algorithms, machine learning models and other data-driven features and services.
- Use technologies like Scala, Python, Kafka, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and Hadoop technologies such as Hive, Spark.
A convincing background
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent Software Engineering experience
- Good programming skills in a JVM based language, like Scala, Java, Closure or Kotlin
- Knowledge and experience in implementing scalable software and data-driven services which processes large datasets, using search technologies (e.g., Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.), Big Data technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, etc.), data storage (e.g. relational databases, key-value stores) and related data processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Akka, Play, etc.)
- Good knowledge in SQL
- Proficient English language skills (German is not required)
Nice to have
- Python and relevant frameworks
- Previous experience in building recommender systems or search services
- At senior level, proven track-record of building rock-solid data-driven solutions (i.e. fault-tolerant, highly reliable features, solutions which scale regarding volume of data, robustness regarding changing data characteristics, re-usable and easily extendable etc.).
- Previous experience in working in a distributed setup
An inspiring environment
Check our Twitter account! https://twitter.com/NewWork_es
- Training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow.
- Innovation weeks (Hackweeks)
- Flexible working hours and remote flexibility
- Restaurant tickets, coffee and snacks.
- Spanish / English/ German lessons.
- A mobile device of your choice as well for private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- A great, multicultural and diverse environment.
- A sunny office located in the centre of Barcelona, with a large terrace.
- Flexible Compensation Plan: Health insurance/ Transport/ Nursery Tickets
- Extended holidays
- Competitive salary and a Permanent contract
- Bicycle park and package reception
- Relocation pack if needed.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!