We’re looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer to join our Barcelona Product and Engineering Team, extending and maintaining our web application for a growing user base.
What does 'Backend' mean at DogBuddy? It's working with our Python/Django web application together with specific SDKs and data migration projects. Your work will impact our web application and our native mobile apps alike. We don't expect you to be a servers wizard (though it's great if you're interested or have experience in AWS or other cloud providers!).
Our product team is multidisciplinary with design, frontend and backend engineering combined. You’re passionate about the web, code quality, and like to face new challenges.
You will work with a group of fun and energetic engineers. We are very passionate about building highly scalable, reliable, available and high performance products.
Skills & Requirements
- You have completed a computer science or software engineering degree and have at least 5 years of demonstrable work experience.
- The position is in-house at our Barcelona office. You would need a valid work permit as we cannot sponsor visas. We can help with relocation assistance though!
- You’re a team player and work well with other teams in the company such as product/design.
- You have strong experience in building robust and scalable web applications in Python (a big plus if it’s with Django) or experience in similar technologies such as Ruby/Rails.
- You have experience with asynchronous code execution using e.g. queues, serverless architecture with Lambda or similar technologies.
- You’re familiar with microservices and have experience in containerized applications using technologies such as Docker/ECS/Kubernetes.
- You are comfortable with database management and performance optimisation.
- You enjoy handling data and scripting to achieve successful migrations.
- Your code is well structured, documented and tested.
- You believe that quality code, speed and reliability impact user experience and you want to deliver the best service to your customers.
- You are used to work with different agile methodologies such as Scrum/Kanban/XP and you are also comfortable with evolving processes.
- You know how to use version control systems, such as Mercurial/Git and are familiar with Continuous Integration/Deployment tools.
- You know how to use Unix systems and command line tools.
- You love new challenges and are eager to solve new problems.
- Great level of written and spoken English (our Engineering Team is in Barcelona but we work in English).
- You love dogs!
What we´re offering
- Work on a product that matters. One of the best 2017 apps by Apple.
- Competitive salary commensurate with your experience.
- Opportunity to deliver your best work, positively impacting thousands of dog owners, sitters and dogs!
- Solid team where everyone’s perspective counts.
- Dog (and human) friendly office!
- Health insurance.
- Weekly company breakfast.
- Bi-monthly social outing
- Employee discounts on DogBuddy (as a dog owner or dog sitter).