Founded in 2012 and backed by some of the world's leading investors, Preply is a global language learning marketplace that connects 15,000 tutors with over 100,000 students from across the globe. We're continually improving our product through A/B experimentation and need your help to build a product that delivers life-changing language education to the world! Learn more in "Some more about us..." below.
Join Preply engineering!
We are searching for a Backend Engineer (Python/Django) who is passionate about the vision of our product.
Our Backend Engineers are an integral part of our cross-functional Product teams. You will be part of the entire feature lifecycle from ideation and brainstorming through to deploying your unit-tested and instrumented code to production.
We release our product 50-60 times per day by leveraging technologies like Kubernetes (Skaffold+Helm), Docker and top-notch CI/CD processes. As a fast-growing company we have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we even write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills at scale.
Visit our Tech Radar to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply.
As a Backend Engineer you will:
You will work in a cross-functional team and collaborate closely with frontend engineers to deliver backend services for various product initiatives and experiments. You will be customer-focussed and make pragmatic technical decisions that balance speed of delivery with quality and maintainability.
- Collaborate with your team as you design and implement robust, readable, well-tested and solutions
- Develop back-end and database driven unit-tested features using Python language and Django frameworks
- Mentor and help grow other engineers
- Develop GraphQL endpoints to be consumed by frontend (our frontend stack is React/TypeScript).
- Learn the needs of our users and define solutions with your product manager and tech lead. Think beyond the code and about our customers.
- Help us make our best practices even better (test culture, code reviews, mentoring)
Who are you?
- Strong knowledge of Python and Django
- Experience with writing unit tests.
- Experience developing web applications
- A great collaborator with excellent communication skills
- High level of self-organization, ownership, and responsibility
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Minimum B2 English level
- Bonus skills: Django, RabbitMQ, Celery, GraphQL, AWS, k8s
What we offer:
- An opportunity at a high-growth trajectory company with solid investor backing.
- An open, collaborative, and international culture where your opinion is highly valued and appreciated.
- A monthly allowance for self-development on Preply.com.
- A competitive financial package, with generous leave allowance and health insurance.
- A free book delivered to you on your birthday
Some more about us...
Backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fueled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalized learning space that will enable people to reach their goals in the fastest way possible.
We have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills across our stack. We also A/B test most of our changes in production, both from a product and a technical perspective before scaling it to all customers.
- Human: We speak honestly and directly with compassion and radical candor. We believe every interaction should be friendly, personalized, diverse and inclusive. Above all, we believe fun should be apart of everything we do
- Customer Obsession: We put our customers first by asking for feedback and analyzing the data to build products they love.
- Hungry: Our will to win is unmatched. We make bold, data-informed decisions, to quickly deliver value to our customers. We dare to dream big, think like co-owners, and go the extra mile to hire others who share our champion spirit.
- Humble: We keep our egos low, constantly learn, and trust in data to make smart decisions. We know that our knowledge is imperfect and incomplete, but not stagnant. There's always more to learn from each other, our customers, and the world around us.
- Curious: We are lifelong learners. Our curiosity helps us to view tough situations more creatively. We kill the noise and go deep on insights. We face challenges head on, and consistently seek opportunities to learn more.
- Hackers: We’re obsessed with our customer’s problems. We focus on what matters, design with pragmatism, and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Preply.com is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe that the presence of different opinions and viewpoints is a key ingredient for our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company. That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.