Worldreader is a global nonprofit that believes everyone can be a reader. The nonprofit provides children, students, and their families free access to its vast digital library via e-readers and mobile phones. Since 2010, over 5 million people across 52 countries have read from a digital library of over 40,000 local and international e-books on Worldreader platforms. Worldreader works with device manufacturers, local and international publishers, government agencies, education officials, and local communities to support readers everywhere.
The software team is charged with developing the Worldreader products used by more than 500,000 readers every month. These include a Web application, multiple Android apps, in-house book management tools and the supporting backends. We use a wide range of technologies and platforms including RAILS, node.js, AWS, Azure, React and Android native. We work at scale, handling over 4M web visitors a month and our redshift database has grown to over 250M rows.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on, Android developer. The ideal candidate has a vast experience in Android development, a knack for problem solving, and the ability to balance a sense of urgency with high quality outputs.
You will work hand in hand with the in-house tech team, external vendors and remote team members to bring to life new exciting apps. You will be responsible for the code heath and evolution, and will take care of the entire lifecycle of the different apps. Most importantly, the products you develop are used in the developing world to help children and adults learn and improve their reading skills.
The Senior Android Developer will:
- Implement and maintain several Android apps
- Collaborate with Product, Design and Content teams to improve our apps
- Help the product team define new features
- Collaborate with our backend and Web teams
- Create a modular architecture to support different variations of our Android app
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of Android development experience
- Deep understanding of Java and the Android system
- Strong CS fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, design patterns, etc.)
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for engineering and product sense
- Experience shipping at least one Android application
- Motivated and proactive candidate with ability to work within the team
- Experience with Git and project management tools (Jira, Asana)
- Good English and communication skills
- University degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Technical Field or equivalent experience
- Experience with web and back¬end technology is a plus
- Experience with education related apps is a plus
- Deep alignment with Worldreader’s mission
- Evidence of Worldreader’s core values: Boldness, Collaboration, Respect, and Talent
- High energy, initiative and a sense of humor
Barcelona, Spain. You MUST have a work permit prior to applying for the position.
How to Apply
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Senior Android Developer” PDFs only and no phone calls, please.