Fairphone is a social enterprise that is driving change in the electronics industry from the inside out. Our business model is based on securing continuity and centers on producing and marketing smartphones in a way that puts social and environmental values first.
We are looking for a hands-on Senior Android App Developer to become part of our growing team of passionate people who work to achieve our mission. If you are as excited as we are about creating positive change, then have a look at our vacancy below.
About your Role
Fairphone’s Product team is looking for a Senior Android app developer who possesses a passion for working in a small team and can offer unique solutions to our end-customers as well as to internal teams.
You will work with a talented small in-house team of engineers to develop our company’s next generation of applications. The scope of your role will also include diving into the internals of Android, fixing platform issues and developing new features.
Part of your job will be working with an App Developer, a UI Designer, and a SW Product Manager. Together you will ensure that our customers have a seamless experience using our phones. In addition, you will support optimizing our internal customer service and after sales processes.
Next to extensive technical knowledge and a strong agile mindset, you are experienced in responding to internal and external requests fast and pragmatically.
You love developing apps and diving into the Android system.
- You are hands-on, take initiative and see opportunities where others see issues, and apply them via constructive, creative thinking.
- You are flexible and love the work environment of a start-up/scale-up company that is fast paced and determined by change.
- You are a people person and enjoy collaborating with people from different levels of seniority, cultures and backgrounds.
- You are a fast learner and capable of sharing your knowledge with team members.
- You are self-motivated and have a positive attitude.
- You feel connected to our mission and values.
- You (are willing to) live in the Netherlands.
Design, develop and maintain applications for our Android platform.
- Perform unit and integration testing code for robustness; including edge cases, usability, and general reliability.
- Run bug fixes and improve application performance.
- Integrate apps in our devices’ operating systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Work with data sources and APIs.
- Build compelling new user experiences within Android apps.
- Craft new and improved features and creating engaging experiences.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency.
Your Skills & Experiences
You have a BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject.
- You have proven software development experience in Android app environment.
- You are a programmer and are comfortable with Kotlin, Java and at least one other programming language.
- You have deep knowledge of the Android SDK, the Java Native Interface (JNI) and the Android framework.
- You have knowledge of mobile device technologies, including smartphones architectures, camera/video technologies, touch screen displays, and sensors.
- You have experience/knowledge with working in an agile environment.
- You have experience/knowledge working with software development tools such as git, Gerrit, Jira and Jenkins.
- You have excellent debugging skills to solve challenging problems.
- You are team-focused and highly self-motivated with a desire to explore new approaches and technologies in a fast-paced software development team.
- You have experience working with remote data via REST, JSON and XML.
- You have experience with third-party libraries and APIs.
- You appreciate Free and Open Source software and want to collaborate with the community.
- Experience with working on Android Architecture Components, Firebase products, Linux, and server-side technologies are a plus.