Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology, Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase yields, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and Kampala.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Senior Data Analyst at Wefarm you’ll be part of an award-winning, diverse team. More specifically you will be:
- Ensuring Wefarm is data informed. You’ll move fast, taking decisions that have a real impact on our performance and scalability. You’ll build on our successes—making sure Wefarm develops upon what we’ve learned—to overcome new challenges and to help us move into new markets.
- Turning data into commercial insight. Wefarm’s unique data—on what’s happening at the start of the global supply chain—has the potential to disrupt multiple industries. You’ll work alongside our commercial team to figure out how to use our data to produce actionable information and insight.
- Building an international team. You’ll be fundamental in developing Wefarm’s data literacy and data-informed strategy. Over the next few years Wefarm will grow exponentially, and you’ll be well placed to help direct the growth of our capabilities and the structure of our data analysis team.
There may be opportunity to travel internationally.
- Communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively, to diverse audiences including our remote teams, our farmers, and our investors. We’re a highly international team, meaning half of our work is via video call. You’ll need to be able to manage meetings on bad connections, while still getting everyone to engage with the ideas you’re presenting.
- Coach your colleagues to run successful experiments, from design to evaluation. You might need to translate complicated statistical concepts in simple and easily understood terms to a non-technical audience. You’ll be ensuring that every test we run is set out to get the most useful information and deliver insight.
- Show leadership and experience, to embed processes across Wefarm that lead to better data-informed decisions across the company. Help us decide what to communicate and automate, making hard decisions, always prioritising.
- Explore messy data and produce actionable insights using R, SQL, and appropriate statistical methods. You’ll need to get your hands dirty at times with code, to analyse results and help other team members.
- Thrive in a cross-functional team, within a rapidly-growing and highly-international start-up.
Also, we’d prefer someone with:
- Statistical background or training: Bachelors/Masters degree in Statistics or similar
- 5+ years experience in data analysis (possibly including a PhD)
- Excellent knowledge of R, including tidyverse packages
- Good knowledge of SQL (we use PostgreSQL)
- Experience designing, running, and analysing the outcomes of experiments
- Experience with A/B testing in a business environment
- Experience engaging with senior management
- A general desire to learn new tools and techniques
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
Wefarm processes millions of messages about agriculture every month. What would you try to find in this data?