Who we are
Want to help build things like the Panama Papers website & DB, an open government open source platform, tools to make it easy to develop and work with public data, visualizations to make it easy to understand public finances and engage the public? Those are some of the things you will be doing at Populate.
Populate is a design & dev studio that conceptualizes, designs and builds products for civic engagement: tools and platforms that enable citizens and organizations to better understand and interact with the world around us. We create our own projects and provide commercial services around data journalism, news products, open data and civic engagement.
We value a lot how we get along and how everyone fits in our self-managing, your own schedule, choose your projects environment. We would prefer someone in Madrid, Spain, so we can regularly meet and work together in our office, although all of us work many days from home or from other remote places.
What we need
- Developer with deep knowledge of Ruby on Rails framework and Ruby language in general
- Appreciate code quality and agile development processes, such as TDD, small iterations and git PR workflow
- Interested and aiming to learn other languages and technologies
- Good communication skills
- Enough English knowledge to have meetings with natives
How we work
We work for clients and on our products, such as Gobierto, an open government open source platform. We put a lot of thought on what projects we work on and which clients we want to work with. Apart from the output of the work, we value a lot the quality of the process: we like to work fast and efficiently, and that can only be done if everyone is motivated, happy, aligned and believing in what we are doing and who are we working with.
Our aim as a team is to enjoy the process of building products that we believe in and that put a dent in the universe.
More info about us in our website: populate.tools
What you will work on
You will take part on the development of Gobierto mainly, but also other clients projects and some of our internal tools (we have a few).
Conditions / What we offer
- Competitive salary according to experience
- A nice working place at our office in Argüelles
- Interesting projects to work on
- Flexibility and freedom, we are not fully remote but we are open and flexible in this way
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us about:
- Show us a bit of code. If you can, share open source contributions or projects of your own. Otherwise, send some snippets you have written. On top this, we may ask for a small code test.
- 3 recent projects you worked in and you are most proud of, why, your achievements in the project and those of the project itself.
- Any civic tech initiatives (tools, data journalism projects, etc) you have discovered recently, and why you think they are interesting.