“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
In Atmosphere Planning & Delivery, we create the Fulfilment solutions that power the Ocado Smart Platform. From the secret sauce that optimises our market leading delivery punctuality and 98.8% order accuracy to the operational systems that allow our clients to efficiently and effectively run their operations.
We build cloud native systems on AWS and GCP using technologies including Java, Spring Boot, Docker, React, Redis, Gatling, and many others. Our teams choose the development methodologies that suit them best, from Kanban and Pair Programming to TDD and Continuous Delivery.
Our route optimiser makes more than four million moves per second as it plans the routes driven by our fleet of over 1500 vans, with time window, capacity, weight and other constraints; and our geospatial system calculates the shortest drive time between our customers and sites in under 100ms taking account of drive speeds and turn restrictions.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Remote Team Leader to build a remote-only, full-stack, full-cycle team of 5-8 people. To be successful in our team you will need to be energised by experimenting with new processes and practices to improve team effectiveness.
You’ll enjoy being part of the team if you like: learning fast through experimentation and self-motivation; being autonomous yet collaborating widely (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better).
We would like to hear from you if
- Passionate about learning and software engineering craftsmanship.
- Enjoy creating real business value, be it improving user experience or driving up operational efficiency. You know that to achieve this you’ll need to cultivate a team environment which is innovative, motivational, highly-productive and setup for fast change.
- Have a strong Software Engineering background. You know what clean code looks like, and you’re able to collaborate on architecture and patterns.
- Passionate about remote collaboration and communication and an enjoyment of collaborating within and across teams.
- Passionate about Agile, Lean, learn fast, and short feedback loops. You thrive in a complex environment.
- You understand that change is a given in this fast paced industry and that excites you.
- Lead the team to produce well engineered and tested software solutions
- Facilitate the continuous improvement of your team, particularly in the area of remote collaboration and communication
- Take an active role in championing positive development practices such as continuous delivery
- Take line management responsibility for the members of your team. Typically we have agile teams of 5-8 people.
- Mentor/coach team members and assist with recruiting the right people as we build the team
- Run effective regular 1:1s with all members of your team
- Ensure that common development standards and policies are followed
- Work closely with your Product Manager and team to prioritize work
- Support the production system as part of the on-call rota
- Occasional in-person team events at our Hatfield office
Languages, Platforms, Libraries, Databases we use
Java 11, Spring Boot, React, Gatling
AWS, Elastic Beanstalk, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS, S3, RDS (PostgreSQL and PostGIS)
Our Development Practices and Architectural direction
Clean Code, (A)TDD
Microservices, REST APIs
Pair Programming, Agile, Lean, Kanban
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com, Fetch and Fabled.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.