As an R&D Software Engineer, you would be working together with the Solutions Architect, other Software Engineers, Data Engineers, and other members of the Peer-review Platform Core Team, to research and develop cross-product components, prototypes, frameworks, or applications to support our wider teams or to be used by business users.
You will work in a fast-paced environment while juggling several tasks and initiatives simultaneously, where innovation and green-field development would be a part of your daily role whilst supporting developers to use your components and collaborating with external teams to accomplish cross-team goals. You will be going outside your comfort zone by exploring new technologies that you may not have worked with and using fast-prototyping methods to deliver your result.
We make conscientious efforts to adopt new technologies so your work will revolve around .NET, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Camunda, Azure, DevOps Serve whilst exploring technologies for our future stack (e.g. Java or NodeJS). Our newest adoption to the tech stack is Hasura and our newest assessments are for the adoption of CloudEvents, Kafka and Camunda Cloud. You can have a look at our full technology stack by visiting our Technology Radar web page: Tech Radar | Frontiers.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a smart, communicative individual with a dynamic mindsetto join our Peer-review Platform Core team who will be able to find their own way in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment to fulfil the role of an R&D Software Engineer.
We believe that the right person should have a natural curiosity to learn new things and be happy to share the knowledge and act as a trainer when needed. You should have a strong development background with an inclination towards good development practices and a good knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming, SOLID principles and design patterns will be most important.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in a similar role with .NET or Java
- Experience with building distributed systems and web applications
- Experience working with message queuing systems (e.g. RabbitMQ or similar)
- Experience with any relational database engines (e.g. MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL)
- Experience with any non-relational database engines (e.g. MongoDB, CosmosDB, Elastic Search)
- Good knowledge of “clean-code” best practices, SOLID principles, and software design patterns
- Experience in working using agile methodologies (Scrum/Kanban)
- Familiarity with cloud technologies (e.g. Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Basic knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes and basic understanding of DevOps practices
- Excellent written and spoken communication in English
Nice to have:
- Experience Event-Driven Architecture
- Experience with Kafka/Kafka Connect/kSQL
- Experience with Workflow Automation Engines or business process modelling tools (Camunda or similar)
Who We Are
We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet. https://blog.frontiersin.org/2020/12/21/2020-the-y...
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open-access scholarly publisher. We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than one billion views and downloads and two million citations.
What we Offer
With over 50 nationalities across seven locations around the world, we are certainly a diverse company. You will have the opportunity to work with teammates in other offices, as well as with researchers, editors, and authors from across the globe.
- 25 annual leave days + 4 well-being days
- Participation in the annual company bonus scheme
- Flexible working framework and remote working opportunities across Spain
- Extensive learning opportunities through our Pluralsight and LinkedIn Learning partnership
- 3 volunteer days through our online platform
- Access to Headspace app
- Online Yoga classes
Please submit your application in English (cover letter and resume).