Who we are
We are an international, growing and distributed team of engineers responsible for the SUSE Manager brand of products.
SUSE Manager is a life-cycle and configuration management solution that offers bare-metal, run-time and container provisioning, inventory and patching for Linux servers based on open-source technologies. https://www.suse.com/products/suse-manager/
Our engineers work in an open source environment contributing to upstream projects like Uyuni (https://www.uyuni-project.org/) and Salt which our product is based on.
Our product has a large, established and mature codebase, originating in the Spacewalk project. It features a mix of legacy/mature frameworks and cutting-edge technology (such as Java 11, the Spark Framework, ES6, React, Salt/Python 3 and others) which we have introduced to keep up with time, iterate quickly and be more productive. We have also released libraries and tools as independent open-source projects.
This is our Joel test:
- Do you use source control? Yes, we use git on GitHub and GitLab.
- Can you make a build in one step? Yes, just by pushing to git.
- Do you make daily builds? Yes, we even auto-deploy them on reference installations.
- Do you have a bug database? Yes, we use Bugzilla and Github Projects/Issues.
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code? We fix bugs every Sprint.
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Yes.
- Do you have a spec? We write RFCs together on Github and merge them.
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? If listening to metal on headphones while coding applies, yes.
- Do you use the best tools money can buy? Yes (and most are free).
- Do you have testers? Yes.
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? They have a code challenge before the interview.
- Do you do hallway usability testing? Not yet.
We are proud of having a very nice community that extends to other teams that support us. Sales, Product Management, Support and Consulting. We drive the product together. Our Product Owner drives this community.
We are looking for a Product Owner/Project Manager!
The location of this role can be worldwide, but European timezone and Nuremberg will be preferred over other options.
- Work together with the team and stakeholders in the creating and committing a product vision and strategy
- Drive the conversations with the community of product stakeholders, adapting the backlog to reflect priorities and setting expectations
- Foster a culture of open minded people, with a passion for open source and innovation, caring for the needs of our growing customer base
- Coordinate critical customer experience incidents with the engineering team
- Drive the formal parts of product releases (Engineering Interlock, Announcement, Release Notes, Export/Crypto Control, OpenSource Licensing)
- Coordinate releases and changes with stakeholders (eg. QA, Support, Marketing, Maintenance)
- Work with Engineering Managers in gathering the right metrics and indicators for the project, helping and enabling decision making
What do we expect from you
- Understand Enterprise IT requirements
- Good English and communication/presentation skills. You need to talk to people, reach agreements and present
- Broad technical skills and knowledge in software development, open-source and Linux. You will be able to understand the product component interations, technologies and and even produce and tweak a build
- Experience driving a product of a moderate size and complexity (hundred thousands LOC, > 10 people)
- Experience with Server administration, Systems Management and Configuration Management a big plus
- Value agile principles in all project aspects
- Proactive. You need to be able to foresee problems and make process improvements continuously
- Ability to see the big picture behind a complex environment
- Direct contact with representatives of free/open source software projects worldwide.
- Regular innovation time (https://hackweek.suse.com) and workshops on the company, department, and team levels
- Five weeks vacation. (*)
- Contributions to pension insurance or capital life insurance. (*)
- Other common employee benefits (food coupons, health care, sports and cultural activities). (*)
- Free beverages. (*)
- We know how to party.
- We celebrate success.
- Relocation expenses for a relocation to Nuremberg, Germany
(*) Reference for the example benefits is the office in Germany. They may vary across hiring locations.
Nuremberg, Germany, CET timezone or Worldwide Location (in order of preference)
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. SUSE is also an active member of many open source communities, such as the openSUSE Project, OpenStack, Ceph, OpenNFV, OpenHPC, and more, to help drive collaboration among global communities to help solve some of the world’s most challenging technology issues.
At SUSE, we set challenging goals for ourselves, then work to meet, and often exceed them. How far can you go with extraordinary colleagues at your side?
For more information, visit www.suse.com