Ocado Technology. We design and build the platform that powers Ocado,
the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We're also putting the
world's retailers online, including Morrisons (the fastest growing
online supermarket in the world), Fetch, Sizzle, and Fabled by Marie
We write and build all our own systems, from website to warehouse control systems, van routing systems to mobile apps, every system involved in our e-commerce and logistics operation has been carefully crafted by our team of passionate software engineers.
We have a rapidly expanding portfolio of amazing software products being developed in Barcelona. And we work closely with our development teams in our other centres around the world.
The main purpose of this role is envisioning the future of IT systems and working with stakeholders, development teams and users to realise it. This includes building vision, describing new functionalities, managing the product backlog, preparing benefit analysis, defining minimum viable product (and how to measure success), prioritisation, preparing acceptance criteria and reviewing completed work. It requires a close working relationship with both internal customers and development teams. You must be technically competent to be able to understand the systems, and prioritise and work with business users and developers to decide product direction. However you must be comfortable allowing the development teams to come up with the solutions, while you will be their knowledge base and proxy for the business.
Range of stakeholders across the business (i.a.: Ocado Technology internal stakeholders, Ocado’s retailer customers like Morrisons, Casino and Sobeys, Ocado retail team).
Roles & Responsibilities
- Developing and presenting the product vision and strategy to drive our apps forward
- Building strong relationships with users and stakeholders
- Developing a deep understanding of the business uses and potential of our software products to enable you to act as a proxy for the business to effectively progress development solutions
- Facilitating an agile software development process wherever required
- Product backlog management, including defining user stories and prioritisation
- Working with the stakeholders to prioritise stories to maximise business value created by the development teams for your product
- Maintaining the development teams focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements so that they can concentrate on what they do best: creating a great product!
- Working with development teams in estimation and review sessions
- Facilitating development by working with design and UX teams to ensure the developers have the things they need to keep moving forwards
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Typical outcome of your work
- User Stories and Epics (for business and development team)
- Elevator Pitches (to help properly prioritise work)
- Presentations (i.a. outcome of the work, strategy)
- describing ways of improving product (both implemented and rejected - we want to learn from our decision making process!)
- describing how product works or is expected/proposed to work
Desired skills & competencies
- Demonstrable experience of working in an agile environment, ideally as a PO, but possibly as an agile coach or a similar role.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong business skills.
- An understanding and appreciation for software development and design, solid technical skillset.
- A strong track record in the retail, e-commerce or commercial software development sectors.
- Strong technical skills and an analytic mindset.
- Previous experience in a Product Development role
- Track record delivering high quality software that meets business need in a timely fashion.
- Experience in estimating the value of software features, and in cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases.
- Experience of managing a product backlog
- Technical Excellence : demonstrates intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities & is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Innovation & Problem Solving: able to solve complex problems, participates in continuous improvement, adapts the ideas of others
- Productivity, Drive & Achievement: proactive approach, gets things done, demonstrates accountability & ownership, prioritises own workload
- Business awareness: ability to apply learned skills, awareness beyond immediate area/role
- Adaptability: working under pressure, flexible, positive & focused during times of change
- Communication & Impact: strong verbal and written communication in English. Robust interaction with internal stakeholders and other members of the team.
- Teamwork: works well with others & actively contributes towards team objectives
We can offer you:
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment (phew!) where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in house and external training programs available. We also really encourage people to attend conferences and be involved in the local developer community.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant Scheme
- Free fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly drinks events
- Table football
- English and Spanish language courses
We are right next to Sants station, a central area of Barcelona. We are just getting going, which makes it a very exciting time to join!
There’s a lot going on at Ocado Technology! Find out more about us at http://www.ocadotechnology.com
Due to the fast paced nature of our business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.