Product Manager in Madrid
Olympic Channel Services
Olympics.com is a multi-platform global media destination where fans can discover, engage and share in the power of sport and the excitement of the Olympic Games all year round. Offering original programming, news, live sports events and highlights, Olympics.com provides additional exposure for sports and athletes 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in 12 languages. Olympics.com was launched in August 2016 in support of the IOC’s goal, set out in Olympic Agenda 2020, of providing a new way to engage younger generations, fans and new audiences with the Olympic Movement. Founding Partners supporting Olympics.com are Worldwide TOP Partners Bridgestone, Toyota and Alibaba. Olympics.com is available worldwide online, its mobile apps and on Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV and the Roku platform.
Project & Job Description
Sports Data Warehouse (SDW) Project
The SDW Project was launched in 2017 by the IOC, in partnership with the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF). Its aim was to create an intelligent, scalable, centralised, unified repository of sports data, easily connectable to in-house or third-party platforms.
The SDW Product today is an ever-growing data repository containing over 825,000 Olympic and elite athlete and 70,000 events. Able to synchronise and merge with any sports data source, the datasets stored within made available via a standardised API, it is used as a basis for different data projects by a number of stakeholders around the Olympic Movement; providing added values to global sports fan, supplying content and context around live events and facilitating the presentation of historical archives as reference data for the IOC, International Federations and National Olympic Committees.
OCS needs a Product Manager to continue this development and progress this project to the next level, representing the future needs of current and potential stakeholders. They will drive the Product Vision, identifying and developing business/growth opportunities, justifying these using market research, knowledge and analysis of competitors and the industry.
You will be a member of the OCS Product Team and you will be directly reporting to the Director of Product or a delegate
Duties & Responsibilities
- Leading Product Definition, you will define, plan and execute the global SDW Product Vision
- Representing the future needs of the clients and stakeholders, you will identify and develop business/growth opportunities, justifying these using market research, knowledge and analysis of competitors and the industry and providing data to back up these decisions
- You will continuously assess progress and refine the Product Vision, value proposition and supporting product roadmap to focuses on developments that maximise ROI
- In essence, you will be the person accountable for the evolution of the SDW as a product or service, with a concern to maximize its value for its current and perspective users. Criteria of success of your effort will be the continuous relevance of the SDW infrastructure to effectively and efficiently (i.e. competitively) support the needs of targeted user groups (i.e. clients) for access to and exploitation of sports data.
- Implementing the Product Roadmap to support the Product Vision, mapping to available resources reporting against a detailed, trackable Product Roadmap
- Mitigating blockers and delays impacting successful completion of Roadmap Goals
Managing Ongoing Product Development
- You will be defining the volume of needed (sw) development resources to be reserved for the execution of the roadmap following established Agile sw development practices.
- You will be compiling and claiming/requesting the necessary resources from your department management as part of competitive pitching, budget allocation or other similar process
- Participating in the product development cycles by managing the product backlog, implementing or supporting the breakdown of stakeholder features to actionable development units (e.g. user stories) and approving what is released for development for each future development iteration (e.g. sprints)
- Auditing said development to ensure the Product Vision is maintained
- Identifying and advancing developments that will add value to the stakeholders (e.g. for the case of business partners or clients) or manage the satisfaction of their legitimate concerns (e.g. internal stakeholders like business development, marketing, technical, content creation, legal etc.)
- Communicate with, maintain strong links and present your roadmap to key stakeholders across technical, commercial, support and operations in addition to key clients to drive usage of the SDW
- Manage potential product backlog item (PBI) conflicts and/or prioritize their development sequences based on transparent business criteria.
- Responsibility to add/drop/shuffle PBIs to optimize achievement of set business objectives.
Skills & Requirements
- Expertise in digital product management, business development, and digital strategy
- Previous experience of Product development, at least for 5 years, in digital environment
- Knowledgeable about the sports data domain, applications, developments and main players and competitors; previous working experience in the sports data industry/domain highly considered
- Proof of understanding regarding the underlying complexity of the sports data structures of the wide multitude of sports that are comprising the Olympic program and beyond
- Exposure and as deep experience as possible with UXes that make available sports data and sports data related information to end-users, either at consumer level or professionals
- Track record in collaborating with developers and subject matter experts to refine the customer experience
- Proven knowledge of Agile delivery processes
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized and able to prioritize based on business needs
- Ability to communicate vision to senior stakeholders
- Academic background that is relevant to the scope of the listing will also be further appreciated
Workplace & Environment
- Permanent position based in our offices in Madrid, Spain
- Subject to national/international criminal background checks
- Available to travel occasionally (10%), if required by immediate Supervisor.
About Olympic Channel Services