Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have built an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous squads where they can craft their own backlog, ship code whenever they want and don’t have dependencies in order to deliver to the traveller. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to capture, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners. Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 70 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive. Our engineering principles are:
- We have a clear definition of success for every piece of work.
- We ship multiple times a day and deliver customer value week in, week out.
- We use design reviews to validate every significant change.
- We deliver our products using our defined technology standards.
- We peer review every change.
- Our Definitions of Done include being live in production… responsibly.
- You build it, you run it.
Most importantly, these are organic beliefs. We iterate. We learn. We grow. And our principles adapt with us
Do you relish in technical leadership? Would you consider yourself an authority in your domain? Can you enable teams to move faster, smarter and more efficiently in a continuous delivery manner? If you enjoy collaboratively guiding companywide technology initiatives and principles, then this could be the role for you.
What you can expect as a principal engineer
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment.
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions.
- Overall responsibility to clarify, elaborate and iterate on Skyscanner’s technology roadmap and designs.
- The opportunity for personal development, growth/mentoring of engineers and influence across the business.
- Collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles.
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a senior engineering lead or comparable, ideally within a product technology company.
- Evidence of leading large organisations in complex technical scenarios to successful completion, resulting in significant business impact.
- Use of various methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement.
- Leading one or more groups with multiple teams.
- Product-oriented, customer-focused emphasis on rapid delivery of value to production.
- Comfortable balancing technical direction with the business value needed factoring into solutions multiple constraints such as scale, distribution, costs, users, patterns.
- You will obsess over ensuring value for travellers, partners and Skyscanner through our technology.
- You are an advocate for iterative software delivery and world class engineering, demonstrating best practice.
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS.
- Previous experience with one or more of the following technologies: Java, Python, NoSQL databases, distributed workflow (Hadoop/Spark), machine learning, SQL, Elastic Search- recent coding experience with mastery of one or more programming language
What else can we offer you……
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks such as barista coffee, fizzy & fresh drinks, fresh & dried fruit, veg, hummus, popcorn and we can help with ‘down-time’ in the office that includes table tennis, pool table, foosball, xbox, office scooters, and massage chairs. We also provide for your health with medical insurance, health screening options, gym membership, headspace subscription and an employee assistance programme to support you and your loved ones. Then it gets really interesting, and you can buy more holiday, donate to a good cause, take part in 2 hackdays per year, and 1 charity day, work from your home country for up to 3 weeks, spend up to 30 days working from another of our offices globally, and you have the option to take part in Skyscanner extended annual leave which is an additional 3 weeks’ break (unpaid) after 3 years’ service or take 5 weeks’ break (paid) after 5 years’ service.
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.