As a Principal Software Engineer you will be responsible for shaping the development and delivery of the backend of our DAZN product, launching exciting new features and rolling out new markets. A successful candidate will have a proven ability in delivering highly scalable backend applications, a desire to work in a fast paced, Agile software development environment and a passion for building a world class product.
You will be deployed wherever there is a business problem or a business opportunity and have the freedom and responsibility to identify what needs to be done to achieve DAZN’s long term goals. Whether in a hands-on or guidance role, you will set the standard for engineering excellence; inspiring and enabling teams to achieve high performance. You will be someone that makes a significant impact across DAZN, influencing the products we launch, the technology we choose and the people you work with.
Reporting into the Head of Software Development you will be part of the Senior Leadership Group alongside Engineering Managers, Architects and other leaders across the technology function.
DAZN are going to change the way people watch sports forever, by putting the consumer first, providing more sport, no ads, no long contract and a single low monthly fee. As part of the DAZN engineering team, you will play a lead role in this by designing and building world leading streaming services across web, mobile and TV platforms, working on new feature releases and evolving the next phase of our growth. With a rapidly expanding company; growth within the team and opportunities to lead engineering initiatives are abundant. We need people who want to help us build a strong engineering culture and a fun, vibrant workplace.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN YOUR NEW ROLE?
* Lead by example by being hands-on and working with our Scrum teams to deliver high quality, architecturally sounds systems; earning their respect as a technical leader and helping DAZN meet its scaling targets.
* Partner with Architecture, Software Engineering and Site Reliability/Platform teams to guide projects from systems design through to live support.
* Ensure we stay ahead of a fast-paced industry; identifying new languages, tools, frameworks, concepts and producing prototypes of how they will benefit DAZN.
* Coach and mentor for Software Engineers; fostering an environment of high performance and continual learning across our engineering teams.
* Active participant in recruitment; designing/reviewing tests, sitting on interview panels and exploring new ways to attract the best engineers to DAZN.
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
* 7+ years of experience leading the technical direction of high performing software engineering teams as either a Tech Lead or Principal Engineer.
* In-depth knowledge of SDLC in a lean and agile development environment.
* Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms that leads to high-performant and maintainable code.
* Polyglot across several programming languages and paradigms, especially Object Oriented Programming and Functional Programming.
* Experience in designing, implementing and maintaining distributed systems at scale in a cloud-based environment with hard requirements of low-latency, highly-availability and scalability.
* DevOps advocate with expertise in building CI/CD pipelines, automated and continuous testing, proactive monitoring, everything-as-code, etc.
* Sound understanding of SOA, REST, Microservices and n-tier architectural styles and design (anti)patterns.
* Strong knowledge of Web protocols, node.js, distributed queues systems, SQL and no-SQL databases, cache layers, AWS or GCP, Kubernetes or Docker Swarm, Terraform or AWS CloudFormation and Linux.
* Expert in maintaining live services at scale by measuring and monitoring system health.
* Strong business judgement with proven ability to influence stakeholder and strong analytical thinking.
DO YOU HAVE THESE DESIRABLES?
* Industry recognition as a regular attendee, blogger and speaker at meetups and high-profile technology conferences.
* Regular and active participant in the open source community.
* Experience of streaming or broadcast media and OTT product development.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL YOU WILL NEED
* Learn and Grow; On-going drive for learning and ability to apply new knowledge and skills.
* Drive & Energy; Self–motivated and driven to succeed, focused on results and passionate about the job.
* Creativity & Innovation; Ability to generate and translate an idea into a product or service that creates value for business.
* Teamwork & Collaboration; Working collaboratively with a group of people in order to accomplish a task or achieve a goal.
DAZN is a tech-first sport streaming platform that reaches millions of users every week. We are challenging a traditional industry and giving power back to the fans.
This is the perfect place to work for passionate and creative engineers. We use a very modern tech stack to stream sports content to...