At Skyscanner we are committed to rapidly delivering continual improvement in the products we provide to over 60 million travellers monthly. World Class Execution at Scale is only made possible by our Engineers who quickly build and release new features and services; running experiments – gathering and reviewing data to identify, prioritize and action opportunities which can positively impact on travellers, our partners and our business.
As a Principal or Lead Engineer your experience, approach and
solutions mean you are trusted as a technical authority; your
contributions inspire fellow engineers and help drive continual
improvement in engineering best practice at Skyscanner.
What might I work on?
Distributed Systems Engineers at Skyscanner face a varied range of exciting challenges across areas including Machine Learning, Data Engineering, Cloud Services, Developer Enablement, Scalability, Optimization, Real Time Accuracy, building world class API’s, Automation (of anything which improves productivity and quality), and much more !
Our aim is to align you with the activities which truly interest you; will stretch you technically; help you grow and impact on millions of travellers globally.
Our Engineers Blog CodeVoyagers features examples of the projects we are working on including….
Ownership – the freedom and space to be trusted to do what you do best and to make decisions that matter
Master, Teach, Learn - The opportunity to work with, learn from and share knowledge with ultra-smart colleagues in a culture of collaboration and technical excellence
Impact - Huge potential to make a positive contribution across our business, people, partners and millions of users
Variety - A real opportunity to explore & experiment
Work – Life Balance – Flexible Working (including Home Country Working), no clocking in
An Excellent Career move – complexity, challenge and real opportunity for personal growth
What we love to see….
- Professional Engineering experience in a web economy organisation
(or another highly scalable technical environment e.g. streaming,
- Success in engineering at scale in a Distributed Systems environment with Terabytes, and even Petabytes, of continuous data
- Practical and Theoretical understanding of cloud computing and networking (AWS a bonus)
- Metrics Driven approach to Decision Making, prioritization and Continuous Deployment
- Evidence of designing, developing, testing and continually improving features and services in any of the following areas: -
- High availability and Dynamic Scalability -– minimum 99.99% uptime of Skyscanner is our goal
- Tools which deliver scalable and effective data infrastructure systems
- Data Engineering with Terabytes or even Petabytes of continuous Data
- Process Automation, monitoring, concurrency, fault tolerance, latency
- API design/development
- Machine Learning
- Cloud Native System Design, container based tool chains, container scheduling.
Our Tech Stack…..
We encourage our Engineers to be Polyglots - selecting the best tools for the job. As a result, we have a very wide tech stack providing a great opportunity to learn new languages, frameworks and tools.
We don’t expect you to be an expert in all of these but would anticipate experience with some combined with a curiosity to broaden your knowledge: -
- Java, Python, C#, Ruby
- Open source data processing technologies such as Kafka, Samza, Spark, Mesos, Storm, Hadoop, HDFS
- AWS (S3, EC2, ECS, Lambda, EMR, DynamoDB, Cloudformation, RedShift), Docker, Elastic Search, Logstash, Heka, Kibana, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, OpenTSDB, Protocol Buffers, Thrift, Parquet, Ansible
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!