HotelTonight makes it remarkably easy to book great hotels at amazing last-minute rates on your mobile device, for tonight, tomorrow and next week. Our mission is to make people feel more alive by delivering the unexpected and we're looking for a Platform Engineer to help do just that.
At HotelTonight, we believe that simplicity is one of the pillars of great user experiences. To keep things simple, our customers see a max of 15 hotels at a time. Your role will be to make sure that only the best hotels, offering great deals, are making it to the top 15.
When you join HotelTonight, you will be working on our scoring algorithm that ranks hotels based on real-time and historical data, user location and behavior, price, and many other factors. You will also experiment with different setups of the algorithm by running A/B tests to find the sweet spot between conversion and revenue because we like to make decisions based on data!
To accomplish this, you’ll have access to the best tooling and work with a best of class team.
Follow our Technology Blog at BuildTonight to learn about the Engineering Team's challenges, goals and everything in between.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Build our A/B testing platform, contributing to both design and implementation of A/B tests to improve the booking conversion funnel
- Implement new algorithm components or modify existing ones
- Maintain the algo, help to troubleshoot issues and answer internal questions, always keeping a critical eye out for ways to prevent issues before they come up
- Contribute to platform evolution, support existing features, and recommend new ones and optimizations
- Participate in code reviews, improve our software development processes, and deliver high-quality software in a fast-paced environment
- Work on scaling infrastructure to support massive data demands within a constantly changing real-time marketplace servicing millions of requests per day with 99.99% uptime
- Keep an eye on the platform and infrastructure on rotating pager duties, responding to issues promptly
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 3+ years experience in software development in Ruby, working as an Engineer at a startup or mid-sized company
- Familiar with major technologies from our stack - Ruby, Rails, Rspec, MySQL
- Interest in other languages, (e.g. Go, Elixir, Scala)
- Background in statistical mathematics and/or experience with ElasticSearch, Redis, Kafka / Kinesis preferred
- Dependable, hands-on problem solver
- Broad interest in technology trends and keen to learn new things
- You enjoy working as part of a team and strive for continuous improvement
- Strong English communication skills to communicate effectively with the team
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- The opportunity to define mobile commerce and change the way people book travel
- The partnership of a driven, agile team that is building something disruptive
- Camaraderie of an amazing team that is working tirelessly to build the world's favorite hotel app, supported by top-tier investors
- Competitive monthly salary + stock options in one of Silicon Valley’s hottest startups
- Fun stuff: Quarterly travel stipend, weekly catered lunches, unlimited coffee and snacks, and the opportunity to spin the HT Roulette wheel to spontaneously win airfare and a hotel stay anywhere in the world!
Additional Information: You must be an EU citizen or have documentation demonstrating your right to work in Germany.
About Hotel Tonight
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!