FilledThis offer is not available anymore
Node.js Engineering at Tessian
Our Node.js team are building a scalable infrastructure for processing email traffic in real-time. You'll be a software engineer with a strong interest in developing backend services in Node.js, looking to start a fresh challenge in 2019. Our stack includes core Node.js, Docker, AWS/Azure, and Postgres, amongst others and you'll be helping to build a new generation of dependable AI-based enterprise security.
Unlike most Node.js roles we're using this technology to execute some pretty low-level concepts and we're drilling down to fundamentals. This isn't an Express app or a full-stack web role; we're building a core, high-performance backend to support Tessian's cybersecurity platform. You'll make a big impact in a small team, with opportunities to drive our future technology, mentor other developers and solve business-critical issues.
You'll be a great thinker and have the ability to plan, question, suggest and explain - skills we value as highly as your ability to write solid, dependable code. As part of our team, you'll be collaborating with our Data Scientists who are building new machine learning threat models, architecting our application to scale with our growing client base, diagnosing critical issues and contributing to planning and architecture discussions.
We believe in regular and continuous development and seek to create opportunities for all team members. We have regular cross-discipline tech talks and we encourage multi-disciplinary development. Dealing with massive datasets at scale requires ingenuity and strong analytical skills, and we build quickly, following both agile and continuous delivery paradigms. You'll have a degree of autonomy to work on your various projects, and be a part of our regular round tables to bounce ideas around. We believe in continuous career development and will look to create opportunities for you to evolve both personally and professionally.
We'd love to meet someone who
- Is a backend software engineer with 5+ years of professional experience - Ideally with extensive knowledge of Node.js, and demonstrable experience of building multi-threaded/asynchronous engineering technology
- Has great knowledge of Node.js: knowing promises from callbacks and able to configure a package.json whilst asleep
- Experience with core Node.js (crypto, fs, net) is even better, and it's useful to have knowledge of the basics of Docker and why containerisation is useful
- Knows how to code on non-trivial software projects
- Understands how open-source projects work (if you have existing projects or contributions that's perfect- please do send us links in your cover letter!)
- Is able to apply software best-practices with regards to application security, including issue tracking, testing and code reviews
- Loves writing server-side software, and thinks it'd be great to work with the benefits of a highly efficient platform
- Is interested in email technologies, protocols, problems and threats
- Is willing to learn, build and contribute
Why we think you'll love it here
- You’ll work alongside amazing, high-performing colleagues
- We offer a competitive salary and equity options with every role, with annual salary reviews.
- Everyone gets 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions are made towards your pension
- You’ll get a high-spec tech kit to work on & get to choose your OS
- Flexible morning start-times on the engineering teams
- One week of remote working from abroad per year
- We have regular communal company lunches, and regular team socials and activities
- Fully stocked kitchen with plenty of office snacks including fruit, nuts, bread, cereals, and amazing coffee
- We offer a cycle to work scheme, eye-care vouchers and childcare vouchers
- Parents and carers are guaranteed one day per week of work-from-home, and we'll give you an extra day of annual leave to take your child to their first day of nursery and primary school
- Generous enhanced Maternity & Paternity leave
- If you’re coming from abroad, we’ll provide relocation assistance. Over 25% of the company is international and we’re always as supportive as we can be in helping people make the move
Tessian is a VC backed SaaS technology company. Our mission is to keep the world's most sensitive data and systems private and secure, so we're building the world's first Human Layer Security (HLS) platform.
We’re a team of mathematicians, data scientists & engineers building breakthrough machine learning and natural language technology to analyse, understand & protect enterprise email networks.
We’ve recently raised $42m in Series B funding led by Sequoia. Sequoia partner Matt Miller is joining the board. In 2018 our venture backed business grew 400% and our team expanded from 13 to 120 people; we have ambitious growth plans for the next year, spanning all areas including our product offerings and our sales & marketing divisions. We’re excited about where this next phase of our growth will take us - we hope you are too, so we encourage you to apply today to be part of the next leg of the Tessian journey.
We’re backed by world-leading venture capital funds, including Sequoia, Accel, & Balderton Capital, who’ve invested in companies like Facebook, Slack, Dropbox, Improbable & Transferwise & we’ve been named on the prestigious Forbes 30 Under 30 list, crowned the “Best Security Startup” by WIRED magazine, and awarded “Best Innovation in Data Protection & Privacy” by CogX.
You can check out some photos of our team on our Instagram, or take a look at our company page. You can also find us on Glassdoor.
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. The Human Layer we're securing is diverse, and we know we need to be diverse and inclusive to successfully create HLS that reflects this. You can read our equality and diversity statement here.
As part of our commitment to equality and diversity, we're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM, our CFO is the Chair of the WISE Campaign's Young Professionals' Board, & we're a founding member of the WEDS network driving diversity & inclusion in startups.
How to apply
Please click on the 'Apply for this Job' button below to be taken to the application form which will collect all the necessary information.
Want to make your application stand out? We value well thought-out, Tessian-specific cover letters; you can write yours in the 'Additional Information' section of the application form.
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.
Tessian company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.