- 3+ years’ on-the-job experience
- Proficient in node.js runtime
- You’ve worked with distributed version control systems such as Git or Mercurial, and loved them
- You’re experienced in AWS, especially EC2, RDS, and S3 (and other acronyms we may not have even heard of yet)
- API development using Express.js backed by SQL database
- Experience with RDMS like MySQL
- Devops experience using elastic-beans-stalk or docker in AWS is a bonus
- Experience working with remote development team
We’re Hostmaker – nice to meet you! Our attentive, guest-ready services create unforgettable experiences for those welcomed into the homes of our hosts. Guest-ready means exactly what it says on the tin: the little touches that do big things, from linen rentals and housekeeping to meeting and greeting excited explorers when they arrive. And we need a master-crafter of code to help us get our ducks in a line.
We’re well on our way to world domination (we’re the leaders of our field in Europe). And we’re looking for a nifty, knowledgeable coding extraordinaire to help us develop the platforms and tools needed to conquer the rest of the world. We’ve just raised close $10 million in funding, we operate in 4 cities (and counting), and we’re growing our people too —fast.
The tech team core to the business and is growing rapidly. We've more than doubled in size since November. It's headed up by Ankur (IIT, Thoughtworks, CompareTheMarket) and Jamie (Oxford University, Ocado, startups, Deliveroo).
The Software we Build
For a company of this size, we have an very wide variety of software, with a wide variety of users. For example:
- A marketing website focused on property owners
- A dashboard for our property owners to understand how we are looking after their properties and making them money
- A booking platform where you can book cleaning services, or someone to meet your guests
- A mobile app that our housekeepers, drivers and welcome wizards use
- A tool to price all of our properties, and list across multiple booking sites (airbnb, booking.com, homeaway etc), used by our team of pricing experts
- A tool to algorithmically optimise the schedule of our field staff, so that they can move around the city in the most efficient way, used by our operations team
- Backend systems to manage all of our bookings, properties, guests etc from the office
- ... and even more are planned.
And each one of them needs to work equally well in Paris, Barcelona, Rome and London.
It's a very friendly company, and you'll get the support you need, but we're looking for someone who can be trusted to work independently and to take the lead. You can go around the business, working out problems and building solutions. At the same time, you must be humble enough to take feedback and adjust your designs appropriately.
What Can You Expect?
- Trust, always. While we’ll always be there to support you, we expect a good level of autonomy (Google is your friend). In return we’ll give you space to think freely without us breathing down your neck
- To work remotely, if you want to – we believe productivity isn’t dictated by time spent chained to a desk
- Flexibility! Though our technology stack is built on Rails, Node.js, and Ember.js, we’re more concerned with your ability to solve problems, self-motivate and learn new skills than what specific languages and frameworks you know
- To focus on the bigger picture, not just the dots (or, 1s and 0s). While you should be detail-oriented, you should also have a keen understanding of customer needs and strive to fulfil them at every turn
- To become part of a close-knit, hard-working team – you’ll need to be able to collaborate with the wider Hostmaker family as well as you can chat code with other devs
Our finishing touches
- Culture is important to us. We love what we do, and make sure everyone in the team feels valued, respected and important. This makes people take pride in their work, and that’s when the best work is produced. A few of the many perks of joining the Hostmaker team:
- Competitive startup salary, with an opportunity for equity options based on experience
- A fast-growing seed-stage company full of bright, engaged folks who’ll keep you on your toes everyday
- A supportive investor group that believes in our vision
- No mega-corp fluff: we focus on results, not face-time
- Discounted Airbnb travel
- Discounts at Hostmaker homes (we’re in London, Rome, Barcelona and Paris! And looking to expand into Asia)