We are a team focused on creating the e-commerce channel of the company. Mercadona is currently the leader in the Spanish grocery retail industry with over 1,640 stores and 90,900 employees, we aim to achieve the same success level in the online business and we would like you to help us.
Come join us and help us design a mind-blowing online experience used by millions of customers in their everyday life. You will be able to demonstrate your passion for crafting bullet-proof, maintainable software that is easily scalable.
HOW WE WORKAre you passionate about engineering excellence? Us too, while we build the best online supermarket we want to make our XP team a reference in the development community. Best practices are our obsession and feedback loops are all we do every single day: tests, peer reviews, pairing, continuous integration, continuous delivery...
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOINGYou will be part of the mobile team. It is a technical position and you will be messing around with interesting technologies like Kotlin and Swift. Mostly, this team develops the applications our customers use and the tools we use to manage products, prepare orders, and deliver them.
- You will take part in an XP team practicing SCRUMban: attend the stand-ups, contribute to analysis and design on the planning days, show your work on the demos and share your feedback on the retrospectives.
- You will build beautiful native applications for Android and iOS to enable thousands of customers to order their groceries every day.
- You will develop internal native applications using the latest technologies and tools to ease our warehouse management and delivery processes.
- You will use, improve and maintain a CI / CD structure that we have mounted with Jenkins using Fastlane, just because we hate to do things manually :D
- You will be able to release new updates daily without any stoppers since we believe that testing, pairing, and peer reviews are more than enough.
In 1 monthYou will know everything that is not visible to the public of the Mercadona Tech project. You will have gone to our Colmena (the warehouse from which we prepare the orders) and you will have been able to know first hand the process that we have created for the preparation and delivery of the orders.
In addition, you will have received countless introductory talks about the infrastructure we have, the projects, and the teams that maintain and develop them. You will also have had some (rather little :D) time to create from scratch something with simple functionality to assimilate the development pipeline we have. All this you will do with one of us who will be your buddy so you do not get lost among so many things.
In 3 monthsYou will be already set up and working. You will know how we work, you will have written many tests and put into production some features, you will have met us all and you will know each one of us by name!
You will be assigned to one of the teams, where you will actively take part in everything that happens. Dailies, plannings, groomings, kick-offs, demos, and retros are all part of our team rituals, but everyone chooses when and how to do them.
In 6 monthsYou will understand what the team's vision is, why we do things the way we do, and what our goals are. At this point, you will have plenty to contribute, you will understand what the priorities are and make informed decisions.
As a valuable team member, you will have participated in the definition of your team’s common goals. The rest of the team will have had time, get to know you better, and will even dedicate some funny Memes and you will feel confident talking about the Simpsons with the rest of the mobile members :D
HOWFrom day one, you will work for hand in hand with your buddy, who will help you set up your computer, get access to everything you need, and integrate you into the team. Once you’ve gone through our onboarding process and can work independently you will still have ongoing support from the rest of the front-end team.
You will participate in an XP team practicing SCRUMban: attending stand-ups, contributing to the analysis and design in the planning and/or grooming sessions, showcasing your work in our sprint demos, and sharing your feedback in the retros.
KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT HOW WE WORK
HIRING PROCESSIn case you are selected you will have the following steps to join the team:
- Kamila, our HR manager, will email you to schedule a first video call to know a bit more about you. This call will be focused on knowing each other and breaking the ice. It should be around 30 minutes long.
- Another video call will follow where a member from the eng team will talk to you more deeply about technical details, as well as check how you follow our cultural fit. This one might be a bit longer, between 30 to 60 minutes.
- If everything keeps ongoing, we will schedule a visit to our office in Valencia where we can meet personally. This visit will have three different steps and it will last approximately two hours. We pay for the travel expenses:
- A pairing exercise. This exercise will be sent to you beforehand to make you feel more comfortable with it, but you won't have to do any extra work. It is just to avoid the nervousness that brings seeing an exercise for the first time. Then once you are here a mobile engineer will pair with you and both of you will do the exercise in either Kotlin or Swift.
- A blackboard exercise. This exercise will be more focused on your software engineer skills, it won't be focused on mobile. You will be with three engineers from Mercadona and you will be working on how to solve a problem that you might find in our day-to-day.
- Finally, a product exercise will take place. One of our product managers will expose an exercise to check how you fit with the way we work here since in the end we are product engineers.
- Finally, we will call you back to let you know the result. The feedback won't take long, since we believe that it doesn't matter how many people we receive; if we think the candidate is good we will try to make you join as soon as possible in order to avoid a long process.
In our offices in the heart of Valencia’s city center. We have stunning views of the city’s main park on the old course of the Turia River and there’s plenty of restaurants, cafes, shops, gyms, and green areas (Valencia is very cycle-friendly!). We are confident that you will find everything you will need to make yourself comfortable at one of Europe’s new buzzing tech hubs.
- You understand how to deliver the best engineering solutions and know what makes phenomenal product experiences.
- You welcome and embrace change, and when context change you can quickly adapt.
- You foment improvement for yourself and your team.
- You know when to play hard and when to work hard.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Top-notch equipment.
- A unique project in Spain.
- Tech challenges that make you grow.
- Career path, continuous learning, and development.
- Valencia’s sunny weather and offices in the city center.
- The international environment on an inclusive team that loves doing after-work activities.
- Flexible working hours.
- Language lessons.
- Juicy internal referral policy.
- Salary range from 35.000€ to 55.000€ gross annually and bonuses.
In 2016 Mercadona Tech was founded with the purpose of offering a brand new online shopping experience. Our objective is to create a simple and intuitive online experience for our customers, complemented with a supply chain that strives for efficient logistics through technology.
Since the delivery of our first order in 2018, our service has grown rapidly month over month, delivering and fulfilling 6,0000’s of daily orders in Valencia, Barcelona, and in Madrid. However, we won’t stop there as the rest of Spain is on our radar.