Are you the One?
Are you passionate about films and foreign languages? Do you want to be part of an exciting and dynamic media tech startup with global ambitions? Do you want to build bridges instead of building walls? Ready to make waves and disrupt an incumbent industry? If that’s you, we’ve been waiting for you!
FilmDoo is a global media tech and edutainment company utilising innovative technology to help deliver entertainment, language and cultural learning content. Launched in 2015, FilmDoo initially started as a platform to help people discover and watch films from around the world through both their own FilmDoo.com site and their aggregate programme supplying films to telcos and third party platforms such as Amazon.
Building on their large and rapidly growing library of over 2,700 films from around the world, FilmDoo is about to launch an exciting new edtech platform helping people to learn languages and explore cultures through film. The underpinning proprietary technology helping to deliver this service includes their metadata tagging system, their machine learning recommendation engine and automated image recognition software. FilmDoo has been featured in Forbes, The Guardian and Variety and is a regular presence at panels and workshops at international film festival such as Cannes, Berlinale and Venice.
What You Will Be Doing:
You will work directly with our CTO, CEO and Senior Tech Lead in a distributed international team and will be involved in all things development at FilmDoo. You will help to improve and further develop our web platform, which is built on bespoke PHP and MySQL, including responsive frontend and backend as well as integration with video streaming technology, and native mobile apps and smart TV apps in future. You will have the flexibility to also get involved in the business as we roll out new features and be involved in brainstorming how we enhance our design and features.
- Experience building, maintaining and debugging complex web applications with PHP (frontend and backend) and MySQL
- CSS, HTML, AJAX, JQuery
- Solid SQL skills, including performance tuning
- Expertise in responsive web development and cross-browser / cross-device testing
- Development of a REST API
- Familiarity with social network integrations (Facebook and Google as minimum)
- Having previously integrated at least one payment system
- Awareness of web security
- Strong attention to detail, willingness to thoroughly test code, and follow source code control and documentation procedures
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- 5+ years of experience in a commercial environment - unless you have other ways to convince us that you are ready :-)
Knowledge of one or more of these is a plus:
- Having built a WebSocket API
- Having built a GraphQL API
- Interest in Machine Learning
- Linux server administration
- Advanced Google Analytics integration
- Exposure to Python
You Should Share Our Company Values:
TEAM - We celebrate the successes and learn from the failures together
RISK - We are a startup and want keep the mindset of a startup as we grow the business
TRANSPARENCY - We value open and honest communication between our team members and have a flat hierarchy. As a Developer, you will be a crucial team player.
HUMOR – As the old saying goes “if we can’t laugh together…then what’s the fun in doing it together!”
What We Offer:
- Joining a fast developing UK tech startup with high goals, global ambitions and an international footprint
- Working as part of a truly multinational and energetic team with team members from Germany, France, Thailand, China, Pakistan, US, Britain, Belgium, Canada and Australia
- The opportunity to play around with some really cool cutting-edge technologies
- Significant exposure to the film industry, which will include the possibility to attend film festivals, events and activities
- Flexible work arrangements and holiday policy and possibility to work abroad
UK-based, with some days at our London office and with some remote working flexibility
Willing to sponsor visa:
Annual Salary Range
£40,000+, depending on experience
Possibility for equity options
Contact Us and Applying:
Drop your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Agencies please, only direct applications.