Frontiers is an academic publisher with headquarters in Lausanne Switzerland and offices in 7 countries, employing over 700 people. In the last two years, Frontiers has grown 50% yearly, thus becoming the second largest open-access publisher in the world. Frontiers has massively invested in data acquisition and modeling, leading to the deployment of sophisticated data products to accelerate further its business.
We are looking for a Lead Machine Learning Engineer who can lead the productization, deployment, and maintenance of machine learning algorithms (e.g. computer vision, NLP, recommendations systems) to join our team in Madrid.
We are a diverse team of data scientists, software engineers, and product owners from over 30 different countries. We are smart and fast moving, operating in small teams, with freedom for independent work and fast decision making.
- Manage a team of machine learning engineers responsible for the productization of prototypes developed by data scientists.
- Establish and enforce an agile software development lifecycle (development, quality assurance, optimization, release, and monitoring).
- Oversee technical decisions of machine learning methods, technologies and engineering best practices.
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar role
- Degree in Computer Science or similar
- Ability to implement Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kamban).
- Strong proficiency in Python, with experience writing production-grade code and maintaining production-grade web services
- Experience with machine learning model development and deployment
- Ability to communicate effectively and deal with organizational complexity
Desired Skills and Experience
- Code development best practices and tooling (e.g. version control, code reviews, testing, continuous integration)
- ML serving frameworks (TorchServe, TFX)
- Containerization technology (Docker/Kubernetes)
- REST API design in Python (e.g. Flask, FastAPI, Celery)
- Cloud computing (e.g. Azure, AWS, GCP) and MLOps frameworks (e.g. Azure Machine Learning, MLflow).
- Handling large structured and unstructured datasets (relational data, text, images) on SQL and noSQL (e.g. mongoDB, Elasticsearch) databases
- Big data pipelining tools and frameworks (e.g. Azure Data Factory, Databricks, pyspark)
- Data versioning (e.g. DVC)
- Familiarity with Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
Candidates are encouraged to include in their application links to relevant profiles/projects hosted on public repositories.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Spanish or EU citizen, or have a valid Spanish work permit.
Agencies must first contact email@example.com and confirm agreement to our T&C’s, failing which any exclusivity and/or candidate representation right will be considered to be waived.
- 25 days' vacation per year and Christmas office closure.
- Participation into the company's annual bonus scheme.
- Access to the latest equipment and international working environment.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Great flexibility for working from home.
- Free weekly yoga sessions
- Lots of opportunities to work with exciting technologies and solve challenging problems.
- Joining a company that can really boost the beneficial impact of science on people, society and the planet
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination - including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.