Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher. We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability and we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
To empower scientists and radically improve how science is published, evaluated and disseminated to researchers, innovators and the public, we have built our own state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence Review Assistant (AIRA), backed by cutting-edge machine learning algorithms (covering areas such as computer vision, NLP, recommendations systems).
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer (mid/senior level) who can work on the productization, deployment, and maintenance of machine learning algorithms to join our Machine Learning Engineering team.
We are a diverse group of data scientists, data engineers, software engineers, machine learning engineers from over 30 different countries. We are smart and fast moving, operating in small teams, with freedom for independent work and fast decision making.
- Work in a team of machine learning engineers responsible for the productization of prototypes developed by data scientists.
- Collaborate with data scientists, software engineers and data engineers to design scalable state-of-the-art infrastructure to serve machine learning models in production.
- Research and adopt the best MLOps standards to design and develop scalable end-to-end machine learning pipelines.
- Identify opportunities for machine learning process automation.
- Establish and enforce best practices (e.g. in development, quality assurance, optimization, release, and monitoring).
- Degree in Computer Science or similar
- Solid understanding of software development best practices
- Proficiency in Python (as well as machine learning related libraries)
- Experience with machine learning model development and deployment
- Experience writing and maintaining production-grade software
- Experience with a Cloud Platform (e.g. Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Understanding of supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms
- Experience with containerization technology (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with MLOps frameworks and building machine learning pipelines
- Great communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and organizational skills
Experience in any of the following will be highly valued
- Machine learning platforms and frameworks such as MLflow, Kubeflow, TFX, Seldon, etc.
- REST API design in Python (e.g. Flask, FastAPI)
- Workflow schedulers (e.g. Airflow, Azure Data Factory)
- Big data frameworks such as Spark
- Data versioning (e.g. DVC)
- Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban).
What we Offer
With over 35 nationalities across our offices in London, Lausanne, Madrid, Seattle and Beijing, you can certainly say that we are a diverse company. You will have the opportunity to work with teammates in other offices, as well as with researchers, editors and authors from across the globe.
Our Lausanne HQ (designed for us) is spread over 3 floors, including a large canteen with a Foosball table and a multi-purpose room used for regular free yoga classes. Our other offices are hosted at WeWork and include communal spaces with coffee bars and activities all week. We are very socially active and organize lots of fun activities, ranging from happy hours, parties, sports events and much more.
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days' vacation per year and Christmas office closure
- Participation into the company's annual bonus scheme
- Flexible retribution scheme (nursery cheques, restaurant pass, transportation)
- Great flexibility for working from home
- Access to the latest equipment and international working environment
- Professional development opportunities
- Lots of opportunities to work with exciting technologies and solve challenging problems
- English classes
- Fruits and snacks in the kitchen as well as much tea & coffee as you like
- Team building/sport activities and monthly social events
- In-house well being activities including free weekly yoga
- Please submit your application in English (cover letter and resume).
- Applicants must be Spanish or EU citizen, or have a valid Spanish work permit.
- Agencies must first contact email@example.com and confirm agreement to our T&C’s, failing which any exclusivity and/or candidate representation right will be considered to be waived.
Thanks for your time checking the job description, if you think you can match with the role don't hesitate to send us your CV, we’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.