What we do
Merantix transforms how businesses, healthcare organizations, and governments operate by building products that apply machine intelligence to their enterprise datasets. We acquire datasets that enable promising products, incubate those products, and spin off ventures to support their growth. We take advantage of three core competencies: Our experience applying machine learning, our expertise fostering enterprise partnerships to assemble vast datasets, and our culture of rapidly iterating to build scalable products.
Our projects are meaningful and diverse. Currently we work on:
- Automated medical image diagnosis
- Deep neural networks used for autonomous driving
- A solutions unit which develops AI strategy and applications across industries, on a project basis
As our current ventures progressively grow mature and become more independent, we will look into new industries such as satellite imagery, pharmaceutical drugs, industrial IoT and automated manufacturing.
Our team is made up of entrepreneurs, scientists, and engineers from premier universities around the world. Many of us have PhDs and work experience at top tech companies. We’re based in Europe’s startup capital, Berlin, and are growing quickly!
Are you passionate about developing impactful applications of machine learning? Does the prospect of dealing with complex problems in different fields excite you? Do you want to play an instrumental role in building deep learning products?
Merantix is looking for a Machine Intelligence Engineer to join our core team building scalable ventures. Among your main responsibilities will be to:
- Research and prototyping state-of-the-art deep learning models
- Design terabyte-scale data pipelines
- Build and analyzing products to uncover scalable businesses
We define ourselves by a culture of friendship and ownership. We’re looking for capable, driven, and thoughtful people to add to our vision.
- BA/BS in computer science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Exceptional competence in 2 of the following and a demonstrated interest in the other: Applied machine learning, software engineering, and product development
- MS or PhD in computer science, machine learning, or related technical field
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: Google Cloud Platform, TensorFlow, Apache Beam, Google Cloud ML, or Docker
- Industry experience working with machine learning frameworks, large-scale data processing systems, or cloud infrastructure
- Significant industry experience developing enterprise or data products
- Background in deep learning, computer vision, NLP, or related
The preferred qualifications are just that: preferred. None of us walked in with all of them. If a few of these points apply to you, we definitely want to talk!
Working at Merantix
Our hierarchy is flat and communication direct, which means that we operate and learn fast, as a team. You are a great fit for our team if this describes you:
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Creative, focused, and not easily discouraged
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is occurring and ambiguity is the norm.
- Excellent technical and analytical problem-solving skills
- Structured work style to develop effective solutions with minimal oversight
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams.
- Love what you do (and own it)
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, you can expect the following:
Some of us come in during regular business hours, and some of us prefer to start later or earlier. Occasionally, we work from home in the mornings or evenings rather than in the office. We don’t track vacation time, and expect you to take time off as you need it. And while the infrequent unavoidable deadline may demand extraordinary effort, we value our evenings and weekends and overtime is the exception, not the rule. Just ask one of our founders, a father of two.
We want each employee to attend at least one professional conference each year. Last year our entire machine learning engineering team attended NIPS and ICCV. We make major contributions to the open source community. We have a weekly paper reading group to stay up on current research.
We have regular outings and team dinners. If you want to participate, that’s great! And if you don’t, that’s fine too.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity. We consider all applications equally regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We strongly encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech to apply, and we can help with immigration.