Are you at your most motivated when you get to break things? Do you thrive when you explore all of the possibilities for tech to fail or succeed?
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
Our developers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences and helping push software development forward, changing companies and even industries along the way. We passionately believe that software quality is driven by open communication, review and collaboration. That’s why we’re such vehement supporters of open source and have made significant contributions to open source tools for testing, continuous delivery (GoCD), continuous integration (CruiseControl), machine learning and healthcare.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will learn to use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
Woven between all of the stages of the development process is the work of a Quality Analyst: the technologist who sees building solutions like a kaleidoscope of possibilities for things to break. By collaborating with each team member—Developer, Business Analyst, Designer, etc.—they ensure quality is thoughtfully examined in both processes and technology. QAs also aspire to be more than testers; they’re team motivators and strive to encourage all teammates to weave quality into their mindsets and code.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will proactively seek out ways to avoid common software-testing problems such as test case duplication, flaky tests, and maintainability
- You will pair with devs to read and analyze code and provide feedback about tests
- You will seamlessly partner with clients, Business Analysts, and Project Managers to create and prioritize test plans while establishing yourself as a trusted voice with testing methods, strategies, and tools
- You will provide input for and champion system testability
- Advocate QA expertise to the broader tech community outside of ThoughtWorks, speaking at conferences and acting as a mentor for more junior-level QAs
- Strive for quality to be built and aspire to shift quality to the left
- Apply theoretical knowledge to practice and willingly offer improvements on code, tests, testability and suggest tools and frameworks to use
- You will examine end-to-end processes in addition to backend testing, ensuring quality is embedded throughout
- You will produce and implement test strategies during the software development process
- Drive the creation of a reliable automated testing suite with strong reporting capabilities that ensures simple, effective analysis of failures for your team to use
- Champion high-functioning teams and enable transitions where necessary
- Extend your passion for quality assurance practices to enabling the client, helping coach a client’s team to adopt a testing mindset
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have worked as a Quality Analyst as part of a wider development team, pairing with Devs and ideally Business Analysts, Infrastructure Engineers, and Designers
- You have experience with Agile, code management, deployment strategies and different types of nonfunctional testing
- You’re a sleuth when it comes to finding bugs, coming up with scenarios and edge cases along with a solid understanding of best practices such as TDD, BDD, CI/CD and the Practical Test Pyramid
- You are comfortable with different types and techniques in functional testing including exploratory, boundary value analysis and equivalence partitioning
- You have exposure to and experience in using defect tracking and management tools
- An understanding of how to perform better white box testing using code
- You know what a test strategy is and can produce one and you’re able to zoom out to the big picture and identify gaps in quality
- You’re resilient in ambiguous situations and can approach and tackle challenges from multiple perspectives
- You are seen as an influential team leader and always advocate for quality as a shared team responsibility, yet are open to change when needed
- An ability to assess strengths amongst your teammates and distribute quality-related tasks when needed
- Bonus points if you have familiarity with automated deployment processes, notions of configuration management like SVN and GIT, and a track record of innovation in testing
Keeping ThoughtWorkers safe is our top priority. Due to COVID-19, you will join ThoughtWorks Spain remotely until further notice in accordance with the government's recommendations. ThoughtWorks is aware that working from home may present challenges for some individuals, therefore our offices will be partially open to provide support to employees who require more space and facilities than they have at home. Please don't hesitate to speak with your recruiter about any requirements or concerns you may have.