- Bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in telecommunications, OSP, ISP, AC/DC power systems and environmental controls relay rack/cabinet/cage construction.
- Experience in optical network infrastructure, transmission systems, layer2/3 routers and data services.
- Experience in a data center or point of presence (PoP) environments.
- Experience managing and/or directing field operation technicians, engineers, contractors and/or vendors in a telecommunications working environment.
- Experience collaborating across multiple levels and functions.
- Ability to speak and write English fluently in a professional working environment.
- Passionate to tactically and strategically engage/influence decision-making.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
About the job
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
Google's network provides services to users around the world. The Edge Network Deployment team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. We lead the full lifecycle of all spaces, power and network assets in all of Google’s metro points of presence globally. The team is involved from site acquisition to construction and is accountable for all existing and new point of presence (POP) locations. Once we’ve delivered the infrastructure, we are involved in every facet of network delivery from architecture, to design, installation, configuration, activation, commissioning and ensuring the network stays up for service at industry-leading intervals.
In this role, you’ll be accountable for staffing internal and external resource options, and allocating resources to achieve infrastructure build objectives and service service level agreements (SLAs). By maintaining the highest level of data integrity of the infrastructure, your responsibility will be key for driving the operations and automations in your metro. As a Lead you will be on the front lines of our efforts to deploy and maintain data networks worldwide. You‘ll work with Network Architects, Design Engineers, Infrastructure Engineers, Field Engineers, Strategic Negotiators and Technical Project Managers to strengthen and maintain the metro in which you are resident. You’ll use your experience in optical transport, data centers, colocation, and the local metropolitan areas to which you are accountable, to drive greater efficiency.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Become a point-of-contact for stakeholder and customer requests in relation to rack, space, power, network infrastructure and service readiness.
- Position all resources to deliver network infrastructure projects, service orders, repairs and maintenance tickets on time or within SLA.
- Manage and maintain assets, tools, test equipment and consumable inventories to position local infrastructure build teams for meeting their objectives.
- Advocate continuous process improvements and work with teams.
- Coordinate with Engineering, network planners, acquisition and local neutral colocation providers to ensure all fire, security, power, HVAC and other critical systems are periodically tested and maintained.