We want to be the source of truth and reference system in an industry where there hasn’t historically been one.
We want to address the core challenges with managing real-time data at scale: data collection, integration, control, and hygiene, organizing that data through identity resolution, orchestration of data flows. In short, we’re improving the data that’s available to all the other tools in your stack.
Our mission is to help companies better take advantage of their most precious asset, their data.
Who we are
We use technology to help our customers have better relationships with their customers.
Hull is the first product that helps SaaS companies manage, segment, transform and synchronize customer data across all their services in realtime.
We're a small team, where everyone has huge impact. We have offices in France and the US.
As the Lead Platform Backend engineer, you will work closely with the CTO, Product Managers, Solution Engineers and :
* Design, develop, release core components of the Hull platform, primarily working on core data pipelines and monitoring APIs.
* Lead the engineering team into industrializing fast, reliable and continuous delivery of the product.
* Be aware of the newest and greatest technologies available, and champion those which can enable engineering and infrastructure wins.
* Help the team Design and implement the next major evolution of our data processing pipeline.
* Work with our connectors/integrations and solutions engineering team to gain a strong understanding of our client’s use cases and data flows.
* 6+ years of proven experience building and delivering production
software in data intensive environments, in teams of 3 or more.
* Fluent communication in English
* Hands-on technical experience combined with strong management skills.
* Solid knowledge in distributed storage and computing frameworks (ElasticSearch, Kafka, Avro, GraphQL)
* Strong skills with the JVM, (Bonus: experience with Clojure or is excited to learn), Ruby & Rails, Node.js, Docker
* Background with the Amazon cloud stack (EC2, S3, ECS etc...), Mesos & DC/OS, Timeseries Databases.
* Experience in API design and data modelization
* Knowledge of Immutable databases (We use Datomic) Graph theory, Dataflow and Lambda Architectures, Complex event processing
Qualities we look for
* Strong communication and collaboration skills
* Strong drive to deliver on time and eagerness to see the result of your work used by customers.
* Demonstrable track record of excellent problem-solving skills
* Passion of learning and discovering new, better ways of doing things
IT @ HULL
- Join a core team of highly skilled engineers, and work on hard problems to help high-growth companies solve theirs.
- A work environment tailored for deep, meaningful work.
- Great location, in the center of Paris
* Learn Fast, Fail Fast, Fix fast
Embrace doubt, and consider mistakes a part of the learning experience.
Velocity is what makes us different from more established companies and our competitors. It is what makes us beat the competition, keep customers happy, and iterate until we have found the right way to move forward.
We are a Learning Organization above all, and we can't learn without making mistakes.
Iterate and Learn
* Start with the smallest solution that works and build it end to end.
When in doubt, err towards the simplest, fastest way to move forward. The right way to build things isn't to build them piece by piece, it's to build smaller versions of them and iterate. Consider the User experience the one piece that must be delivered, and work backwards from there.
* All working together towards the same goal
We believe in our team, and in their expertise. We built a team of incredibly smart individuals and we rely on each other for success.
* Think how your actions impact others
The ability to put ourselves in the place of our customers and other team members is what helps us drive the right decisions at every instant. **
Ownership & Accountability
* Nothing wrong with making mistakes
We believe empowering people brings positive change. We each own our decisions and actions, and we are responsible for creating value that derives from those actions.
Clarity & Transparency
* Say what you do, do what you say
We believe in a culture of Transparency. We do things in the open. We're also responsible for making sure others are aware of what we're working on, and the help we need to make it happen.
* Work/life balance
Work/life balance is critical. No good things from breaking it. Enjoy your family and your life so you can bring your best self to work.